Revell 1:72 Boeing P 26A (approx' 1966 vintage)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The diminutive 1:72 Boeing P-26A. This kit is so old I'm not sure I should build this. It's something like 49 / 50 years old ! This, I'm quite sure is the oldest kit I've ever built. Including first time building as well.
So, what is it. This colourful little thing. Although, I think I'll substitute the green for blue as most seem to be that way. Also, the decals are very yellow. I'm trying the sunlight trick, but I don't hold much hope for them so I'll have to try something else. Masking will be tricky due to the rivets - 1960's remember.
IMG_1125.JPG

About 17 pence I believe.
IMG_1126.JPG

1966, a couple of years before I made an appearance.
IMG_1127.JPG

At least the colours seem simple enough.
IMG_1128.JPG

But wait, where am I going to find these very special paints ?
IMG_1131.JPG

And this is it for the instructions.
IMG_1130.JPG

Some good news. Even back in 1966, Revell put the holes in ready for the rigging. So no excuse here.
IMG_1135.JPG

A typical sprue. Top left is the cockpit. Top right engine shroud, look at the size of the sprue gates. Nice engine.
IMG_1137.JPG

Well, let battle commence.

D

Deleted member 3568

Interesting looking plane, look forward to seeing your progress.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
oh boy, that brings back memories, i can remember building that when i was a nipper

look forward to seeing this progress

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You've got your work cut out for you on this one Colin. It can still make into a nice model like so many older kits.

First Name
Dave
I remember building this in my youth. I started model making around the time this came out in 1966.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice to have you all along for this journey into the past. Yes, it's certainly old, but it fits quite well. Then again, with so few parts, it would be difficult not to fit.

Just 6 parts required to get to here.
IMG_1140.JPG

The propeller was a bit out of shape and needed heating up before bending it straight.
IMG_1139.JPG

So, it wasn't long before primer was applied. A bit of paint certainly makes all those rivets and raised panel lines stand out.
IMG_1145.JPG

And then an undercoat of white.
IMG_1147.JPG

Most of the wings and the stabilisers will be painted yellow, hence the white undercoat. I'll probably go with a blue fuselage, just like everybody else does, even though the instructions say green. But, any masking is going to be a right pain with all these rivets.

D

Doug Hughes

This brings back memories! I made this sometime in the 1980s, when modelling standards (mine in particular) may not have been quite so high. I seem to remember it made an eye-catching model, mostly due to the unusual shape, and the colours. I hope you read all the advice in the instructions, and didn't let any excess cement run and damage the details.:smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Dead cool!:eek:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This brings back memories! I made this sometime in the 1980s, when modelling standards (mine in particular) may not have been quite so high. I seem to remember it made an eye-catching model, mostly due to the unusual shape, and the colours. I hope you read all the advice in the instructions, and didn't let any excess cement run and damage the details.:smiling3:
It certainly is a blast from the past for many. Not for me though, it escaped me first time around. I do remember building a P12 as a kid, but not his one.
So, work has been delayed as summer hit us rather suddenly. But as summer is now over, work continues.
After an undercoat of white, yellow went on, and what a pain it was. But, it will do. Now masked up for the green. Yes, I've decided to go with the instructions and avoid the blue that everyone seems to do.
The little bags ? Just a simple way to quickly mask the wings off.
IMG_1149.JPG

Dark green is what Revell asked for.
IMG_1150.JPG

And that is what it got.
IMG_1154.JPG

A quick gloss coat and onto the 50 year old decals. They have been sitting on a window sill for the whole of summer and the yellowing has reversed itself nicely. But that is no guarantee they won't fall apart in the water. But guess what, they have behaved themselves quite nicely. Even going on over all these rivets.
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG

The ones on the tail don't fit too well, but a small touch up with a bit of black should fix that. The decals are very thick, but then again, the surface detail is 'big' as well, so it all works.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work, turning into a really nice looking build.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's finished. Pic's in the completed section.