Revell 1/72 Boeing P26A

B

Bari

One of Modelzones finest, collected when they were shutting down and selling off. Moulding is dated 1982 but I was surprised to see that it had pre drilled holes for the rigging. Its quite a modest kit of only 20 parts and lots of flash but goes together quite well. I have put a little bit of detail on the cockpit walls and made a new seat out of metal foil. I have also tarted up the engine by drilling out the cooling vents on the front and adding new pushrod tubes and intake and exhaust ducts.

View attachment 103871

View attachment 103872

View attachment 103873

View attachment 103874

View attachment 103875

View attachment 103876

01.JPG

02.JPG

06.JPG

09.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great start Barry. This will look great in those colours. Also a nice touch from Revell to have pre-drilled rigging holes.

B

Bari

Started the fight with the decals. I think from the state of them this may have been an original 1982 set, or possibly gathered up from the factory floor. They have proved very reluctant to leave the backing and have required large amounts of microsol to lay down. I decided to leave the wheel spats off until I have finished them and also the cowl and engine. I though it would be easier to sticker up the fuselage without them in the way. It's getting there just a few more dribbles of microsol and we might be ok. I will have to touch up around the leading edges of the tailplane and fin though. I will line up the cowl decals once the engine and cowl are together and attatched to the fuselage.

View attachment 104303

View attachment 104304

View attachment 104305

View attachment 104306

View attachment 104307

View attachment 104308

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

Last edited:
B

Bari

Onwards with the rigging, for those who are a bit unsure about doing rigging, I use a simple method, I drill 0.5mm holes through the attachment points going through both sides of either the wing or fuselage. I usually use an elasticted thread that the wife uses for some of her knitting. However she has to thread it onto a needle for me as its so fine I can hardly see it. Make sure the needle can pass through the holes though. Tie down the end of the thread to a convient bit of the aircraft then sew the rigging in as long a continous thread as possible. it doesn.t matter if it has to cross the wing to go down or up a hole. once the rigging is done tie the loose end to another handy bit of the airframe and then fill all the holes with superglue using a cocktail stick or similar. When its all dry use a razor blade to cut off the bits you don't want then colour in the holes. This works fine with simple rigging in the small scales such as 1/72. You will or course notice that I have forgotton to do the bit of rigging inbetween the wheels, I forgot to drill the holes in the top of the spats and am now wondering how to do it, probably stretched sprue will have to do...

View attachment 104517

View attachment 104518

View attachment 104519

View attachment 104520

View attachment 104521

View attachment 104522

032.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

K

Keithmayes

She's a little beauty, love the paintwork. You're doing a nice job there.

Z

Ziper_it

Hi Barry,

I noted the thread to come later (time is never enough these days) and I see it finished!

Great job

Francesco