Revell 1/72 German Albatros D.III...WW1 Fighter.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Polux.
I wasn't very cool when doing the rigging!.............:mad:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That turned out extremely nice Ron, well done on a lovely little gem.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Si, Dave and Alex. Thank you for your excellent posts.

Dave - I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to endure what I went through when fitting the rigging!......But you never know.....;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Si, Dave and Alex. Thank you for your excellent posts.

Dave - I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to endure what I went through when fitting the rigging!......But you never know.....;)

I'm only askin' 'cos I got a few biplanes in my stash. I've seen lots of different ways to do rigging and just wondered what method you use.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've seen lots of different ways to do rigging and just wondered what method you use.

To be honest Dave, I've never look at ways of doing things, be it videos, magazines, whatever. I prefer to figure things out myself. I hope that doesn't come over as conceited or 'pig headed' I just think looking at too many methods would lead to one big headache!

Here's how I tackled the rigging.
eze line and general purpose glue.
Look at the rigging plan and keep each piece of line as long as possible.
Glue the first 'anchor point' let this dry ( a few seconds) then string out the thread to the next point - and so on. Think spider's web.(Back and to, back and to) With careful planning, it's surprising just how much you can do with one length of thread!
Then study the rigging plan again and repeat the above. I had tried to cut individual lengths of rigging, but found it very difficult to fix the two points.

A good trick shown to me by my late pap, was if you use white thread, place a piece of black card behind the model to show up the thread - vice versa if using black thread. It really works.

As you wrote, I'm sure there are loads of other methods and materials, I just found, with a bit of forward planning, the above method was reasonably quick and straight forward.

I hope the above will be of some use to you.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I just think looking at too many methods would lead to one big headacheRon

So that's why my head hurts all the time!

I agree that we all have to find our own way of doing things, but it's always nice, for me anyway, to see what others have tried. At least that way, I can start with methods that I think I will find easiest for me.

Thanks for your feedback, but I suspect I'd have problems trying to do continuous runs as you do 'cos I'd be more likely to glue my tweezers - or whatever I'm using to hold the line - to the kit as well as the line!

When my 'sidewalk superintendents' have grown up a bit and are capable of leaving me alone for more than 30 seconds, I want to have a go at some of the methods I've seen for rigging. I don't want to start any of the biplanes I've bought until I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to rig them.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Here's another way use the old sprue over a lighted candle until is starts to soften then stretch it out until you have a long filliment with a bit of practice you can produce really fine strands all the same thickness and cause they are the same material as the kit they glue easily that's how I do it but as has been said each to his own method by the way Ron really nice model

Regards

Colin

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome work Ron! You've turned that ancient kit into a result that looks like it was produced using a recent release.