Revell 1/72 Halifax Mk.II

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ah yes the painting stage. I always think there's "light at the end of the tunnel" at this stage. I'm always wrong of course. I forget about all the little bits still to be done.

D

Doug Hughes

Quick update on this. Lesson learned - I won't be re-spraying white before applying the second camouflage colour. It might help the pre-shading show through, but although I tried hard to spray away from the White Tak, there was still a visible white outline in places between the colours once I'd removed the masking. Cue some touching up with a brush followed by blending in of the brush strokes with the airbrush. The overall effect is patchier than I would like, but now that I've applied the gloss varnish (Humbrol Clear) things are looking a bit more even.

I've had to apply the varnish in two stages - top and then bottom surfaces, as I couldn't find a way of holding the model without touching the varnished surfaces. Interestingly, the top camouflage (Tamiya) definitely needs two coats, while the white (Vallejo) doesn't. Presumably this is because of the very matt finish on the Tamiya acrylics - it 'eats' the varnish like when you seal bare plaster with watered-down emulsion!

On the positive side, touching up things with the airbrush made me realise that post-shading, which I've never tried, should be quite possible, even at this scale and with my poor airbrush skills. I'll give it a try on a future build.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
post-shading, which I've never tried
I was always a pre-shade type builder (with post shading as a back up) but more and more recently I've only used post shading, which I find easier. Pre-shading might still have it uses depending on what colours are being used. But for me, I'm going to try and stick to post shading. Give it a go, it's much more controllable than pre-shading, and not that difficult.

D

Doug Hughes

Just to say, I've finished this build now. Just waiting for a decent day (and some time) to take some pictures. Sorry for lack of updates - our PC died recently and I've been busy buying a replacement and restoring all the data. Loads of fun!