Revell 1/72 P-26A Peashooter

• Thread starter Deleted member 4203
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4203

Hi all, I haven't been posting mucb recently because I've been experimenting with dioramas, but thats a whole different story and a whole different thread also :P :confused: ;) I've been browsing the internet and shops and I came across this little gem :smiling3: :eek: I am going to have a good crack at it over the next few days and I'll see how it turns out :D :cool::rolleyes:

...So yeah, I guess this is the build thread :D

View attachment 100391

image.jpg

D

dougie

looks like a nice cheerful and bright build... are you doing an original build or will it be modded?

D

Deleted member 4203

Yes I did think it looked a bit peculiar with the colours and what-not when I saw it, but I guess that's why I liked the look of it so much :D I'm going to hopefully get it made as it appears on the box, but maybe with a little bit of extra detail ;) For example, I might try a bit of weathering, or silver on the metal bits of the wheels, etc. But that should be about all that I will be adding :P :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good choice Blair, I like these inter-war fighters and their garish colour schemes. I built a Matchbox one when I was very young. Bit of rigging on this one I see, will add to the look of the machine. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

D

Deleted member 4203

\ said:
looks like a nice cheerful and bright build... are you doing an original build or will it be modded?
Sorry I posted a reply yesterday but forgot to quote your post, so its here in case you wanted to see it or whatever :confused: :smiling3:

Yes I did think it looked a bit peculiar with the colours and what-not when I saw it, but I guess that's why I liked the look of it so much :D I'm going to hopefully get it made as it appears on the box, but maybe with a little bit of extra detail ;) For example, I might try a bit of weathering, or silver on the metal bits of the wheels, etc. But that should be about all that I will be adding :P :D

D

Deleted member 4203

Hey guys, the plane is finally finished :D , I forgot about it for a few days so that's why it took longer than expected, I also had problems with getting and mixing the paint so it added more time, a while back I made my own colour of paint, then when I came to use it again it was almost like a paste, so I worked at it and it turned out not bad :confused::smiling3: And like all things, it ran out :mad: So off I went again mixing paint into a small paint pot to make the perfect colour :P Then I used up all that :eek: But thankfully it all turned out okay in the end. :D

By the way, this is only the finished pictures as I forgot to take during the build :sad: :oops::mad: :smiling3:

View attachment 101909

View attachment 101910

View attachment 101911

If anyone wants to know the issues I had with this kit then here they are:

I can't remember if there was actually an aerial that came with the kit or if I just lost it, so I had to cut off a spare gun from a hawker hurricane kit to put it on, adding extra work :mad: But that one may be my fault :rolleyes::oops:

Some of the parts such as the engine required trimming because they wouldn't fit :sad:

The decals to go around the engine cover won't fit round it correctly, so I left them and painted them on,

Although, there are a lot of good points to this kit: :D

The other decals are perfectly fine :smiling3:

The wheels have different shapes to fit into the fusilage so you know which one is the right wheel and which one is the left wheel :D

There is very little glass to work with so it doesn't matter how you sit the pilot into the cockpit :P

I would definitely recommend this kit to anyone considering it as the finish looks absolutely fantastic for such a small kit :D ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Blair nice to see you back. Interesting little plane , very nice colours, I can imagine the decals were a bit of a bugger ,especially trying to bend them round the cowling so top marks for painting them on . What paint did you use ?, from some angles it looks very thick . Great effort on a very difficult scheme , cheers tony

First Name
Aaron
I'm a fan of box art builds, I mostly buy because I like the box art.

The paint does look a little thick but I can't knock that because of the intricate design you have pulled up with a brush, top marks bro.

D

Deleted member 4203

\ said:
What paint did you use ?
Thanks for the reply Tony :smiling3: , It was Revell matt 56 which is a dark blue, then mixed with several types of white which were also Revell, some of the whites wouldn't mix well with it and would make it look ghastly, so I tried using tamiya xf-2 which helped me get the right colour I needed, the paints being different brands may have caused it to become thick but I'm just not sure what happened, none the less it still looks not bad :D

P

phalinmegob

you don't want to mix tamiya and revell. even though they are both acrylics, they require different thinners. you can just add water to the revell paints to thin it down which will make it easier to use with a brush, tamiya requires its own thinners or isopropyl alcohol to thin it down. i find that tamiya requires lots of coats to get good coverage with a brush, i only use tamiya paints in an airbrush. likewise personally i use revell for brush painting small details. there is a thinner called ump that claims to work with all acrylics but have only used it with tamiya at the moment, will try it on revell some time soon and report back. always remember that lots of thin coats will give you a better finish than one heavy coat, thats the beauty of acrylics as it does not take too long to dry

D

dougie

Great little plane mate, colours are excellent and fun. I agree the blue ia a bit thick... I have done the same on my model, live and learn though ;)

Look forward to the next one