Revell 1/72nd Type VII U-Boat.

R

rjwood_uk

rofl Richard. women to have some strange habbits dont they!!!

M

Mankster

That's amazing, looks even better in its element. Any chance of a 'Weathering - How To' thread ??:praying: :praying:

R

rjwood_uk

use the search feature and you will find loads!!!

eg. this thread on rust effects

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2832&highlight=weathering

and this one on general weathering...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1787&highlight=weathering

B

Bunkerbarge

Any chance of a 'Weathering - How To' thread ??:praying: :praying:
I tried to cover the stages of weathering in the build thread itself and I included some shots of the washing and dry brushing processes. If you want anything more just let me know the type of things you are interested in.

The links Richard has included also give usefull ideas on weathering but I think the effect that had the most impact on the sub was the wash before I gave it a coat of matt acrylic varnish.

M

Mankster

use the search feature and you will find loads!!!eg. this thread on rust effects

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2832&highlight=weathering

and this one on general weathering...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1787&highlight=weathering
Ahh missed those, thanks!

B

Bunkerbarge

If there is any part of the build thread that is unclear or confusing please feel free to ask and I will try to explain things a bit better.

Thanks for the kind comments, I really enjoyed seeing her on the water this afternoon.

B

Bunkerbarge

...and it will be on show at Doncaster this weekend and our club Gala day next weekend.

Lets hope it proves to be reliable!!

B

Bunkerbarge

All the pictures from this thread are now in the gallery.

B

Bunkerbarge

The final chapter in the U-boat saga was to add some figures to the bridge.

Painting small items is one of the few things I can do on the ship in what bit of spare time I get to myself so I usually try to tae one or two things with me and a selection of paints. This time I took some figures for the Envoy class tug to put a bit of life on her and I took some superb white metal figures for the U-boat.

They were Heckler and Goros items, purchased from Historex, and the level of detail is staggering. Obviously I did not have the luxury of a magnifying lamp so it was up to the Mark One Eyeball and a steady hand. Now that I have taken a few shots with a very good camera I can see how the figures do not exactly set any standards and the painting leaves a lot to be desired but they do enhance the bridge significantly and they do look good when placed in the bridge scenario.

They also do some very nice gun crew but I particularly wanted my boat to be in an "entering harbour" mode with the kill pennants flying so gun crews would not be maning the gun during these times. I also have one figure left but I am not sure whether I will fit him or not. He is wearing a complete set of Sou'westers which doesn't look right somehow amongst the other five who are not and I also don't want it to look too crowded so I am still undecided.

Anyway here's a couple of shots of the finished beast. I took her out on the pond again last week and she once again behaved perfectly. The only issue I had was turning her in a pretty fresh breeze when she took a bit of water over the deck and some got inside. I am not going to make any modifications as the deck kept the majority of the water out and I won't be sailing her in such conditions again anyway. She really is a fairweather vessel but with just a bit of a swell she looks amazing at speed and makes a perfect wake.

View attachment 15162

View attachment 15163

View attachment 15164

View attachment 15165

View attachment 15166

View attachment 15167

View attachment 15168

View attachment 15169

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

U

uboatbuilder

just signed up and saw your pictures love the on water shots, particularly at waterline. soooooo cool

Grant

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the positive comments Grant and a very warm welcome to the forum. I hope that you enjoy your time here and get something out of our resources.

I look forward to seeing some of your own pictures and hearing about your models. I know the members here would love to see some of your pictures from the Model Boat Mayhem site.

U

uboatbuilder

Thanks Richard i will try to get my pics on here ASAP.

Grant :grinball2:

B

Bunkerbarge

Build threads are obviously very popular when you look at the number of views they get.

Hopefully we can eventually transfer a few more.

B

Bunkerbarge

Well the weather yesterday was perfect so I decided to give the U-Boat another airing and get a couple of shots of the model with the crew on the water.

I have also replaced the couplings with a pair of the very simple Robbe rubber tubing types which worked very well. The vibration and noise was noticably less and the sub behaved perfectly for well over an hour.

View attachment 15406

View attachment 15407

View attachment 15408

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

A

ajg141

Very nice job Richard - beautifully finished.

With regard to the Robbe rubber couplings I've recently fitted these to my little Billings Waveney after trying all sorts of other concoctions. I agree that they are much quieter and smoother. This model has the ActionKit Pico Motor Mixer Set fitted (twin motors) with a micro servo for the rudder. Works fine in the test tank and hope to test this weekend in the pond. I won't be taking it too far out though as it's so small I'll lose sight of it!

Andrew

B

Bunkerbarge

That's actually one of the biggest problems I have with the u-boat, keeping an eye on it. I keep it under very close supervision and close to me and also a very keen eye on what everyone else is doing.

I certainly couldn't blame anyone if they hit it so I have to try to avoid it myself.

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Bunk,

Don't know how I missed this thread first time round, but I have just read the whole lot. I can only say what a fantastic Job you have done on this and I love the action shots in the water, She Looks absolutely Superb....I would certainly be proud of this one.

Nice Work !!

Regards....Mark

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks Mark, your comments are very kind and much appreciated.

G

GeoffR

I don't want to dwell on the negative, but I'm sure U-boats owners know that there's always the chance of being attacked by a Sunderland.

In Australia here, Patrick Drake's U-boat here being depth charged by my Sunderland some years ago.

GeoffR

View attachment 15410

View attachment 15411

Bombs.jpg

BoddBomb.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

The U-Boat went for another sortie last Sunday and I am now very pleased with the reliability of the model. She lasts for nearly an hour on her 'C' cell six pack and always looks very effective under way.

I usually put her out early when it is still calm and before any one else turns up to provide a concern. This time I also put the Revel Corvette on the water at the same time and they look really good together. The Corvette was an Ebay buy and not the strongest example close up but does lok very effective when on the water.

The Robbe couplings seem to be holding up very well and she does seem to be noticeably smoother when at speed so I'm really pleased with them.

I was also having a play with my new long lens and was quite surprised at just how narrow the depth of field is when at maximum magnification. Look at the lengthways u-boat shot, the tower is in focus but the fore end and aft ends are not. The model was quite a few feet away so it is an effect I need to bear in mind in future. It hasn't affected the across the frame shot but it might be worth remembereing if I want to isolate a subject.

View attachment 15677

View attachment 15678

View attachment 15679

IMG_0005UB.jpg

IMG_0009UB.jpg

IMG_0011UB.jpg