Revell 1/72nd Type VII U-Boat.

G

GeorgePapa

Hi Richard,

have followed the thread with great interest due to your excellent work as well as my 45 years wish to make a sub... So please accept my congratulations for a rather fine job indeed.

One question irrelevant to the model. Where did you find the 2mm/4mm brass tube ?

Thanks both for your answr and for sharing.

George

B

Bunkerbarge

George, Your kind words are very much appreciated, I actually very much enjoyed making the model with the conversion to R/C and I also now very much enjoy sailing it. It looks surprisingly realistic on the water and handles very well.

The 2mm shafts and 4mm tubes were ordered through a supplier in the UK who made the shafts and tubes to length, fitted them with bushes and also supplied the brass props and couplings.

If you ever want to get in touch with them let me know and I will get you their contact details.

First Name
Peter
Wow, I'm really impressed. Your models are stunning! Are you making any static models at all?

Regards,

Marudek

B

Bunkerbarge

Not really no, all my time now goes into various R/C boats and all my future projects would appear to be some type of working model.

I think one of my advantages is that, as I was brought up on plastic model kits spending many years trying to improve realism and detail, I can now try to apply these techniques to working model boats.

It adds a whole new dimension to a model to actually see it working on the water creating a bow wave and moving around under it's own power and the chalenge of making it still look like a scale model whilst making it practical to operate. The only indication from the outside that the u-boat is not simply a static kit is the fact that there is a hook in the forward wire.

S

Savvy

Hi Bunk,

I've just read through this whole thread, brilliant. I guess revell got the shape pretty much spot on, have a look at the wake your model makes and then have a look at some period pix of the real thing!

Nice kit well built, and RC'd too!

Sav.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Hi Bunk,I've just read through this whole thread, brilliant. I guess revell got the shape pretty much spot on, have a look at the wake your model makes and then have a look at some period pix of the real thing!

Nice kit well built, and RC'd too!

Sav.
I did do and actually I was surprised at just how similar the wake form is. I am actually now glad that I didn't go for a full diving model as I wanted to get lots of detail on the bridge with figures, flags etc. and still be able to see it all on the pond. She really does perform very well and I'm amazed at how effective the rudders are, which are the kit ones without any modification.

B

Brian'sUsername

Wow! I am interested in both R/C and Scale Modelling, and this is simply fantastic! R/C cars are more of my winter hobby, and i can truly appreciate just how much work went into the R/C side of this. And not only that, but it looks amazing as a static model. Great Job!

Brian

V

VermontGuy

Wow! This is a great looking model! Great building so far!!! :smiling3:

Mike

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's brilliant mate and thanks for putting it up as it's given me the chance to persuade the wife that's worth buying ,

It's saved me the conversation of " yes dear I know I've already built one if these but this has got .... Bla bla bla "

C

CDW

Just followed this link from Alan's thread Richard.....

Its absolutely brilliant and certainly looks the part in the water .... Great build sir.

B

Bunkerbarge

I can't believe how old the thread is!!

Glad it is still of use though and still generating further enthusiasm for this kit.

S

Sky Raider

I totally missed this build Richard when you were on it. What a fantastic craft. nice RC conversion also. Well done mate

Andy