Revell Aqua Color 01 Clear Gloss

A

AVB99

Hello

Can I please have some advice on the use of this product. Is it best used with an airbrush (I use Johnson's Klear with a brush). How thin should it be - the same as with the paint? What about air pressure? How many coats? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Aidan

P

phalinmegob

i use it in an airbrush thinned with tamiya thinners to the same sort of consistancy as the paints all though if i am truly honest have never acheived a really good glossy finish.think it needs lots of fine coats but i always get fed up after a couple of coats

N

noble

No you have not been advised wrong at all I only use tamiya thinners for tamiya paints, to thin down water based paint like revell aqua use water only.

scott

P

phalinmegob

i always thin revell aqua colour using tamiya thinners as it is better than revells own brand aqua colour thinners and it works out cheaper. i did not like the results i was getting thinning with water.its almost the only paint i use at present.

W

wbk666

can anyone suggest the ratio i should use for aqua clear to water?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
By using water to thin down Acrylic paints you will thin the paint, but at the expense of breaking down the Acrylic resins that bind the paint. The paint will be less resilient, and not bind as well to the surface.

You can thin the paint out to the point of separation; the pigments will start to split out with nothing you can do but throw it out and start again. The water thinned paint was also very frail once you had actually got it to cover the kit. When dry it was very prone to damage and rubbed off when handled!!

I started by thinning Acrylics with water and after a few disappointing results, tried a thinners and have never looked back.

I can't speak for or against Tamiya thinners as I have never used them. I can however say that Vallejo's thinners work not only in Vallejo paints but also in Xtracrylix.

Ian M