Revell Comanche RAH-66 helicopter

D

Dave1973

before I jump in headlong into both the Huey and the Blackhawk large scale kits I have, I thought I'd have a crack at this little kit first!

Sprues look all ok, but I'm not holding my breath as I've been down this highway before!! We will see if the parts actually fit when we get there,

Started with the office, I've washed the parts, and still they're so shiny, paint isn't sticking, so I've cleaned them with brake cleaner and then primed them. Typical!

More to follow!

View attachment 123698

View attachment 123699

View attachment 123700

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

danntheman

just looking and see you use Tamiya paint, how do you like it, I find it awful for brush painting

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
\ said:
just looking and see you use Tamiya paint, how do you like it, I find it awful for brush painting
I think you need to use some Tamiya thinners when using the brush as it dries very quickly without it.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i did this kit as a whiff a few years ago, went together with no drama

i agree with the paint comments, always found tamiya paints a bit awkward to get on with

J

John Rixon

I'd go for water to thin it - Tamiya's thinner is quite aggressive, i.e. it'll soften the previous coat very quickly, causing the brush to drag said previous coat, which is a pain. Mix it with water and this problem is all but alleviated. Then use plenty of thin coats and it'll soon look great, but be warned, the first 2 coats will leave you with a sense of self-loathing! But it works fine!

D

Dave1973

I love my tamiya paints, i find they airbrush brilliantly, and unless you dont mix them, theyre ok for brush painting, i tend to use fine hair brushes for acrylics and they work fine. They do dry out fairly quick, but i only brush paint small parts, everything else i airbrush.

D

Dave1973

Cockpit is in and fuselages together, had to use a fair amount of putty to clean her up!

Again, like a total brainless maggot worthy of stamping on, i forgot to take pics....

D

dubster72

Looks like a proper whirlybird production line you've got going Dave!

Might have to join in with my Lynx ;)

D

Dave1973

We could have a rotary club......er......errr.......forget that

You can only join if your is also missing canopy parts!!

D

dubster72

\ said:
We could have a rotary club......er......errr.......forget that
You can only join if your is also missing canopy parts!!
Knowing me, that can easily be arranged!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Knowing me, that can easily be arranged!
I've got some nice choppers tucked away in my stash so I'm all for the rotary club lads. Interesting build Dave I must admit I can't get along with the tamiya paints so kudos that you've managed to master them. I find them to be troublesome through my airbrush leaving a gritty grainy finish but alright brush painting the small stuff.

Good luck with the rest of you'd build. Watching with interest cheers John

D

Dave1973

Got the body together, and gaps filled.

I fitted the canopy, in case i loose this one as well!!

I use liquid mask when i mask the canopies, i find it easier than messing with tape.

Plus, i use a cocktail stick to apply it, as it allows me a much finer application over a brush. And it messes brushes up anyway!

So its now in primer, awaiting ancillary parts to fit and paint.a

View attachment 124044

View attachment 124045

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I vaguely remember building this little kit when I was really really young. Being about 8yr old I doubt I did this kit any sort of justice.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good so far Dave. Is that the final paint colour?