Revell jaguar gr1 "desert storm" 1/72

N

noble

That's nice I like the paint colour a lot, there is something about aircraft painted in dessert colours.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Nice model. I like the sand colour :smiling3: I don't understand so much about planes.... forget my question, but the weapons really go upper the wings? o_O I never see it before :P
Yes mate they did View attachment 84908

image.jpg

First Name
Mike
Nice build Peter, I prefer this scheme to the standard grey/green.

\ said:
That looks great pete the jaguar is a favourite of mine :smiling3: can you still get this kit ?
Allan, it's the Italeri kit re-boxed, which might be easier to find.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Nice job Peter, and great use of the old base.Polux, yes; you will see this configuration on some older British Cold War jets, the Lightning being another one that springs to mind. It frees up the limited under-wing space and pylons for other ordnance/fuel tanks and also acts as a wing fence.
Er! What is a wing fence Joe. Probably showing a great ignorance ? :rolleyes:

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Er! What is a wing fence Joe. Probably showing a great ignorance ? :rolleyes:Laurie
Wing fences help to control boundary layer of airflow over the wing. You see them on swept wing aeroplanes mostly. I believe the Germans pioneered them prior to Word War Two.

Basically airflow over the top of a wing has a spanwise flow from the root to the tips (it doesn't just flow straight back). This can create complications when angle of attack (the angle of the wing chord to the relative airflow) is increased. When a critical angle is reached the airflow is disrupted enough to become turbulent and break away from the wing surface. The subsequent loss of lift causes the aeroplane to sink, and normally a nose-down pitching moment is experienced in an aeroplane with a non-swept wing. This is a stall. The tips usually stall first which means the pilot no longer has effective (or any) aileron control. This is rectified by using washout (the tips are set at a lower angle of attack than the roots, so they stall later than the main wing). Most aeroplanes have a certain amount of washout at the tips. Wing fences can be used to inhibit the spanwise flow, also lessening the effect on the tips.

On a swept wing aeroplane the stall pitching moment is normally nose up (the tips are well behind the Centre of Gravity), further worsening the stall condition and creating a deep stall, very difficult to recover from! Wing fences inhibit spanwise flow, helping to ensure either the wing roots stall first and also helping to prevent the loss of boundary layer over the wing by keeping the flow contained.

Other methods of preventing spanwise flow and re-energising boundary layer include:

Vortex generators (little bits sticking up, usually but not always at the leading edges)

Leading edge slots (leading edge slats lower and create a slot through which the incoming airflow is accelerated),

View attachment 84972

Blown wings (engine bleed air is used to blow over the wing surface, the Buccaneer had this system). A few others, but you get the general idea I hope.

1982 Clark AB.JPEG

L

Laurie

I think so Joe. Thanks for that and the time taken to explain it all. Just shows I was ignorant.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Not at all Laurie, most wouldn't have bothered to ask or wouldn't care anyway. Next time you take a commercial flight get a wing seat and watch the various sections of wing at work and the way they move about, it really is quite an amazing spectacle.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Not at all Laurie, most wouldn't have bothered to ask or wouldn't care anyway. Next time you take a commercial flight get a wing seat and watch the various sections of wing at work and the way they move about, it really is quite an amazing spectacle.
Joe you just brought back a disturbing memory of my first time on an aircraft ! A BOAC 111 and I had a window seat over the wing , ten minuets into the flight we came out of cloud only for me to see the wing doing a jitterbug , scared the life out of me I thought the wing was going to come off lol

L

Laurie

Yes I had noticed how they flexe Joe. Interesting to watch their movment more so in taxiing across to the runway. Having been in the architectural scene always noted, but few do, how a staircase or a floor concrete or wood will also move.

Had boats earlier and was surprised to find out how the hulls move around and of course that is the inherent strength to move and not resist.

Apologies Peter for taking over your article.

Laurie

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Yes I had noticed how they flexe Joe. Interesting to watch their movment more so in taxiing across to the runway. Having been in the architectural scene always noted, but few do, how a staircase or a floor concrete or wood will also move.Had boats earlier and was surprised to find out how the hulls move around and of course that is the inherent strength to move and not resist.

Apologies Peter for taking over your article.

Laurie
No apologies need some quite interesting facts coming out there.

Peter t