revell Ju87 G/D colours

D

Doggy

Hi all. i have the above kit and I'm trying to find the correct paints for it. According to Revell I need black green matt 40, dark green matt 39, white matt 5, light blue matt 49, yellow matt 15. I need to mix two others for the guns and exhausts unless someone could suggest a paint I don't need to mix 90/10.

I have humbrol 65 (aircraft blue), 24 (trainer yellow), 30 (dark green matt), 91 (black green matt) and Revell aqua 36167 greenish grey and 36361 olive green.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to match these paints, I think the light blue and yellow are ok, are they? As for the greens I'm not really sure. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Don't panic Doggy.

German aircraft were originally painted in what are referred to as RLM colours. RLM is just an abbreviation of the German for the Reich Air Ministry.

The two upper surface greens were RLM 70 and RLM 71. The lower surfaces were painted in RLM 65.

Humbrol 65 will do for RLM 65

Humbrol 91 will do for RLM 70

Humbrol 30 is a bit green/blue for RLM 71. I would suggest Humbrol 66 Olive Drab off the top of my head.

The yellow was called RLM 04 and had a distinctly red/gold tint. You can use your Trainer yellow but I suggest adding a touch of red,any red,if you want to make it a bit more accurate.

If in doubt a quick google of RLM colours should give you an idea of what you are after.

German exhausts were painted black but obviously they weathered somewhat. One thing that they are not is a rust colour! Try painting them black and then dry brushing some aluminium,silver or grey over them,depending what you have to hand.

Paint the guns black (apart from the wooden parts which can be literally any shade of brown). Sand some pencil lead on a piece of sandpaper and then pick up the graphite with a paintbrush and apply to the metal parts. Easy!

Don't beat yourself up about exactly matching paints from the 1940s! I've been modelling Luftwaffe subjects for longer than I care to remember and no two models of mine are exactly the same. They are models,representations. Most importantly have fun,and if you've got any other questions,fire away.

Cheers

Steve

D

Doggy

Oh thanks Stona. I think the Humbrol 66 is a good option as its supposed to be the same as Tamiya's XF62 and I think I need that for a Me262.

I'm actually looking all over the net at RLM colours, nightmare. I'm also trying to match RLM 76, 81, 82 and 24 for the Me262.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If you are looking to buy a range of Luftwaffe colours in enamels I would suggest taking a look at White Ensign's Colourcoat range.

Cheers

Steve

D

Doggy

Thanks but I'm looking at acrylics, much friendlier to use with kids about.

First Name
Dave
As I said in your other post,try Xtracolour acrylics from Wonderland models (order on line).Postage was £3 last time I ordered some.So you need to order several tins/pots to make it worth your while.

D

Doggy

Ah theres a wonderland in Edinburgh, I could make a family day off it and nip through one Saturday, I think it's closed on Sunday.

I'm trying to stick to one paint type ie Tamiya because I can buy it local. If I'm in glasgow I'll look in Jamiesons to see what paint systems he does, he might do xtracolour. These are just German paints I'm trying to organise, I've got planes from every other country too. Hence the spread sheet thread.