Revell P51B Mustang

J

jazzkat

Hi

I have just started this project. First model in many years. I have read a lot of advice on here and so here goes

I'll post more as I go.

Thanks for looking

Rob

J

jazzkat

Hi,

the next installment!

The plane is together. It all went together easily enough. I wasn't too happy with the fit of the landing gear doors but I might be able to get it tidied up with some filler.

There are a few gaps that I'm going to tidy up and then a bit of sanding and I'll spray a coat of primer. The canopy has been Kleer'ed and is sat under a glass to dry.

shh! don't tell the wife!

B

backonthecase

Looks good mate. A nice tidy build so far! How is the kit generally, regarding fit, accuracy etc?

Stuart

J

jazzkat

\ said:
Looks good mate. A nice tidy build so far! How is the kit generally, regarding fit, accuracy etc? Stuart
Thanks very much. First plane model I've done in 20 years, so your encouragement is very much appreciated.

Everything has gone together pretty well. There was a little flash in a few places, but nothing too tricky to deal with. I had a bit of fun fitting the instrument panel into the cockpit floor as the pin on the panel was too large for the hole in the floor. Nothing a bit of sanding and shaving didn't fix.

You have to drill the holes to fit the bombs or fuel tanks as the holes weren't fully formed. This is mentioned in the instructions. I have got a 1mm drill bit in my tool box. If you didn't have such a small bit I'm not sure how you would do it!

I had a couple of splodgy glue episodes, quickly wiped away with kitchen roll.

I'm not sure now wether to spray over with primer then fill or fill first? I know the primer will show the gaps better, but once I've filled do I primer again or just go for the colour coat (I am using an airbrush btw)

There isn't a lot of filling to do really, just the wing/body joints and the leading edge of the wings. I've got some Plasto made by revell. No one seems to has mentioned it on here. Any one know what its like to use?

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Thanks very much. First plane model I've done in 20 years, so your encouragement is very much appreciated. Everything has gone together pretty well. There was a little flash in a few places, but nothing too tricky to deal with. I had a bit of fun fitting the instrument panel into the cockpit floor as the pin on the panel was too large for the hole in the floor. Nothing a bit of sanding and shaving didn't fix.

You have to drill the holes to fit the bombs or fuel tanks as the holes weren't fully formed. This is mentioned in the instructions. I have got a 1mm drill bit in my tool box. If you didn't have such a small bit I'm not sure how you would do it!

I had a couple of splodgy glue episodes, quickly wiped away with kitchen roll.

I'm not sure now wether to spray over with primer then fill or fill first? I know the primer will show the gaps better, but once I've filled do I primer again or just go for the colour coat (I am using an airbrush btw)

There isn't a lot of filling to do really, just the wing/body joints and the leading edge of the wings. I've got some Plasto made by revell. No one seems to has mentioned it on here. Any one know what its like to use?
Sounds like a pretty good kit...might keep my eyes open for this...

I'd get the filler in the gaps that are visible before primer then sand, prime, and then see what needs another visit with the primer.

Then if you're unsure about how the joints look after the filler, spray them again with the primer and repeat as necessary.

It's a good idea to keep the primer coats light so that you don't obscure the detail.

I've never used Plasto filler, I've used Humbrol and Squadron Green Putty and Milliput, all with fairly decent results.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Last edited:
J

jazzkat

Thanks Stuart.

I have found the fuselage sections don't quite meet leaving a slight lip at the top of the aircraft. So I've sanded these down a little and will see what they look like after primer. I've filled the really obvious gaps, but have managed to obscure some of the panel lines.:lame:

I'm going to try to pick out the filler with a pin or something, when I have some time.

The filler is quite thick and sets quickly I'm not sure how to apply it. I will have a search around on this site and the web to find other peoples techniques. I'ts not been a massive success so far, but I guess its a steep learning curve. Lol!

I've never made a model with this much care before, I've usually just painted it and built it.

I'm really looking forward to getting on with the paint and detail.

I'll post more later in the week when I've had chance to spray the primer.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Thanks Stuart.I have found the fuselage sections don't quite meet leaving a slight lip at the top of the aircraft. So I've sanded these down a little and will see what they look like after primer. I've filled the really obvious gaps, but have managed to obscure some of the panel lines.:lame:

I'm going to try to pick out the filler with a pin or something, when I have some time.

The filler is quite thick and sets quickly I'm not sure how to apply it. I will have a search around on this site and the web to find other peoples techniques. I'ts not been a massive success so far, but I guess its a steep learning curve. Lol!

I've never made a model with this much care before, I've usually just painted it and built it.

I'm really looking forward to getting on with the paint and detail.

I'll post more later in the week when I've had chance to spray the primer.

Thanks for looking.

Rob
Cool, well mixed results it seems.... With regard to getting the filler out of the panel lines, i find that a scalpel or pin is too sharp, a mediocre or blunt-ish pen-knife should work better, it'll scrape the filler out, but hopefully not harm the plastic underneath.

As for applying the filler, I use the same penknife, or an appropriately shaped scalpel blade, sometimes rounded ones are good for getting into certain shapes and corners.

HTH, will be looking out for updates!

Stuart

J

jazzkat

Well the primers just gone on and all seems well, I've tried not to apply to thickly, but I may have overdone it a little in one place. Some of the less than perfect joints have shown up a little. I may leave them for now and continue with the build and put it down to experience.

Pic's to follow!

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Well the primers just gone on and all seems well, I've tried not to apply to thickly, but I may have overdone it a little in one place. Some of the less than perfect joints have shown up a little. I may leave them for now and continue with the build and put it down to experience.Pic's to follow!
I do that too - if it looks ok, and it has a blemish here or there in the joints i dont worry too much about it!

Get some photos up!!!

lol

Stuart

J

jazzkat

Ok then,

The joint on the top of the fuselage is just visable in this pic. The dark patches are rain water. I sprayed in my garage and bringing it into the house got it a bit wet!! Its chucking it down out there!

The panel lines have fared well despite my enthusiasm with the paint! But I didn't pay anywhere near enough attention to the seams by the looks of this photo, check out the wings to body joints. Steps every where...oops!

By the way thats vaseline on the cockpit. Somebody suggested it as a mask, it seems to be working well, but if you touch it, it moves/comes off so I'm having to be very careful. I'll try copydex next time.

The underneath is less successfull, too many visable joints I think. Never mind I'm sure it will look ok when its finished.

I'll give it a couple of days then I'm going to try to highlight the panel lines. It might lead the eye away from the joints...ha...ha!

B

backonthecase

Thanks for the photos!

Looking good there mate - I'd not be too worried about the lines, just pass them off as panel lines hahaha!

You may have a point about the panel line wash, maybe it would distract the viewer from the steps hahaha.

I've used vaseline to mask a guitar scratchplate before but not a model - it can be messy to remove so be careful not to smear the transparencies.!

Looking forward to seeing some colour on this machine!!

Stuart

J

jazzkat

Detailed the panel lines. This kit has got some fantastic detail on it, it's sent my eyes funny spraying that lot! maybe I should do a larger scale next time:grinball1::grinball1:

I've just read advanced aviation modelling by John Mcillmurray and he mentions redoing the lines before spraying the dark colour on the camouflage.

Should I just mask over the lighter camouflage and give it a quick once over? Is it necessary? I'm thinking of trying my hand at a bit of weathering as well, will this not make up for the lack of shading in the panel lines on the darker colours?

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Detailed the panel lines. This kit has got some fantastic detail on it, it's sent my eyes funny spraying that lot! maybe I should do a larger scale next time:grinball1::grinball1:

I've just read advanced aviation modelling by John Mcillmurray and he mentions redoing the lines before spraying the dark colour on the camouflage.

Should I just mask over the lighter camouflage and give it a quick once over? Is it necessary? I'm thinking of trying my hand at a bit of weathering as well, will this not make up for the lack of shading in the panel lines on the darker colours?
The pre-shading looks good mate. If you don't overdo the camo colour, the pre-shading will show through and give a nice variation in panel colours. Is it hard or soft edged camo on your scheme? And are you airbrushing or brush painting it?

Stuart

J

jazzkat

I'm going for a soft edge finish using an airbrush.

I'll spray the underside first I think then do the camo.

B

backonthecase

\ said:
I'm going for a soft edge finish using an airbrush. I'll spray the underside first I think then do the camo.
Yeah best plan IMHO, I did that with my LA-5 and A-36 and just masked the whole underside off.

Stuart

B

Bunkerbarge

I think this is going extreemly well and all credit to you for sharing it with us all. Modelling is a learning challenge for us all of every single different level of expertise and none of us are ever completely happy with a model we build. That's what always drives me on to try to achieve that perfection and to learn better and better techniques along the way.

You are already learning what you would rather do next time, good on you!!

J

jazzkat

Thanks for the encouragement. I have never spent so much time on a model, even when I was a kid and really into building. It would be paint one day and build the next.

My wife asked this morning what was taking me so long! She can remember her brother starting in the morning and finishing in the afternoon.

I hope when I'm finished it will be worth it.

I must admit to being a bit concerned about applying the decals as I can remember that bit being a bit fraught and reading advice and questions on here and other sites it seems to still be the case.

Oh well that's to come.

I'm off to paint my undercarriage:shocking:

B

Bunkerbarge

Decals still give me challenges and my last attempt on a tug hull were pretty terrible. I am still trying to get the hang of micro-sol and micro-set and not getting it right yet!

J

jazzkat

I have seen and read about micro sol and micro set. I know that one of them softens the decals and allows them to closely fit the panel after fitting. What does the other do?

I have also read that vinegar can be used as a substitute.

I've got one of those "round the tail" decals to put on and if I remember rightly they never fit properly. I might paint it on instead, Its like a slightly off white colour. Any colour suggestions? Its an RAF colour scheme. Could be called sky I think?

B

backonthecase

\ said:
I have seen and read about micro sol and micro set. I know that one of them softens the decals and allows them to closely fit the panel after fitting. What does the other do?I have also read that vinegar can be used as a substitute.

I've got one of those "round the tail" decals to put on and if I remember rightly they never fit properly. I might paint it on instead, Its like a slightly off white colour. Any colour suggestions? Its an RAF colour scheme. Could be called sky I think?
Strong chance it could be sky. Also, I'd probably try to paint the wraparound decal - I'v had a bad experience of wraparounds after doing the rear fuselage bands of an F-86 :soapbox: