Revell SnapTite models

S

Stevekir

Revell offer several big trucks (and other types) in their SnapTite range, "No glue required". I assume the parts are taken off the sprue and, well, just snapped together. An example:

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/snaptite/85-1961.html

Can these produce high quality finished models?

Do they need painting? (They come with "peel'n stick graphics" which does not seem acceptable in a good quality model.)

Thanks.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have done the Star Wars versions, exactly the same snap-tite from Revell. These are pre-painted and are on sprues that you snip off and sand any imperfections off. They are fun and you can do a lot with them Steve. As far as I know these are all pre-coloured, no painting etc, just build and stick the stickers on. But, as I said the scope for re-painting and weathering is huge.

Si:smiling3:

D

Dave Garrett

cheating lol im guessing they are for the younger person who wants to try modeling for the first time so it will be less messy and for people to get a quick fix in between projects and like si said you could paint and weather it as you please

W

Waffen Bucks

View attachment 99857

View attachment 99858

View attachment 99859

I have also done one of the Star Wars Revell Snap kits. The AT-ST (Scout Walker) version.
I also have the Falcon, but haven't started on this yet.

I repainted my Walker but the fit was pretty good. I did trim the connections a bit, so they would fit without too my force applied to them.

My Falcon is pre-painted but a coat of primer and its a blank canvas again...ready for a good paint job and weathering etc.

They are fun kits to do if you want a small side project or if the modelling mojo has gone for some reason.

IMG_6468.JPG

IMG_6473.JPG

IMG_6475.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've seen these revell kits and I bought the wife one for a laugh she enjoyed it and it doesn't look that bad really

View attachment 99888

View attachment 99889

I think this was 1/144 scale it's about five inches long
I have just finished my falcon I mean I really am finished this time

View attachment 99890

As Simon says these are prepainted but with a bit of imagination can look quite good :smiling3:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

S

Stevekir

The falcon is really good. Very realistic, even more so if put in a space background. (Internet would help here.) It's got a huge amount of detail which helps realism.

N

noble

Hi steve I have built the ETA 2 actis jedi fighter which is a snap kit from revell the pics are in here somewhere, I found that giving it a good sand priming it and painting as normal can produce some good results, all you need to do when building is add glue.

scott

L

Laurie

I do not think that would give me much satisfaction.

Building a 1/48 WMIK Landrover at the moment something outside my aircraft comfort zone.

Found the construction is a bit leggoee and not as intricate as I thought. Disappointed me a bit. Have to say that the paint work and weathering etc seems to be a challenge or perhaps different than aircraft.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
The falcon is really good. Very realistic, even more so if put in a space background. (Internet would help here.) It's got a huge amount of detail which helps realism.
Cheers Steve I'm glad you like it , your right putting things like this in the right setting would make it look better the only thing is it's about 15 inches long so it's difficult to get a picture big enough with the printer I have , I did try and do a number of copy's togther but it didn't look right

I am at the moment though building a base to put it on so at least it ont be alone on a shelf :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This has come up before, is something like this classed as a model, or should modelers take on these kind of toys/models. I think the answer is yes, to me they offer me a cheaper way to experiment with weathering etc than having to pay out for a model, assemble, paint etc. Plus, as has been mentioned, they can offer a scope of enjoyment for: KIT BASHING, WEATHERING, DISABILITIES, LACK OF MOJO, GETTING KIDS INVOLVED, ETC. They offer me a way to model if my hands are that bad that doing a normal build would prove that difficult it would be left.

My massive Falcon is a toy, no question of that, but the detail is really good and again it offered me a challenge in lighting it and re-painting and weathering. So, get some toys, get some clip models and faff but have fun.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
As Simon says these are prepainted but with a bit of imagination can look quite good :smiling3:
Well, it can if you nick ideas off my big Falcon... :D

Si:smiling3: Shuffling off quickly.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well, it can if you nick ideas off my big Falcon... :D Si:smiling3: Shuffling off quickly.
Nick is such a harsh term ! I prefer to borrow permanently :P