Revell Thermopylae

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all we due to the kind generosity of CPNGROATS (a member on another forum who was so impressed by my model ships he gifted this to me from his own stash)I have received this

View attachment 124611

View attachment 124612

View attachment 124613

today.

Thank you very, very much George, very kind indeed.

I hastily opened it tonight eader to start but my missus says NO!!! "you have enough models on the go, cluttering up my house. you finish some of them off and get them out the way". to be fair I do have 9 on the go and bits are all over the place, she's generally ok so I cant complain ( but I have found in the past a bit of sweet talking can bring her round ) so watch this space, in the very near future.

Ym8x36V.jpg

3g9EIhb.jpg

5YorrI9.jpg

J

John Rixon

Wow! Fabulous ship, that's got ta be an impressive model, you're gonna need some more thread though... ;)

C

Caledonia

A yes; built in my home town, Aberdeen. Some say she was faster than the Cutty Sark because of what became known as 'the Aberdeen Bow' a design feature, first introduced in the coastal schooner the 'Scottish Maid' and copied by a lot of subsequent ship designs. I'll be watching when you start.

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Just been googling, looks as if you have a pretty rare kit.

This link shows a painting of the Thermopyle leaving port on her maiden voyage.

http://www.aberdeenships.com/related.asp?index=8743&shipid=99403

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I prefered this one to the cutty sark because it was more colourful with green hull made a great contrast to white sails and brown decking etc that was the kit i built the same one you have now if I remember rightly there were no major issues with its construction but it must have been 35 years ago when I built it along with the cutty sark

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
Nice model ken. but this time don't cut the hull off leave the hull complete much better that way.

P.S. I agree with Pam get the rest of the models done first and out the way :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well since I'm having a rest from the darn Citroen I need something to fall back on (this addiction will be the death of me)I thought what be better than this,TBH I've been looking forward to this since I was kindly given it (I just hope I can do it justice)

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'll have to watch this Ken...... I'm sure you'll make a cracking job of it mate..

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I've tried a little experiment, I got some copper and brass leaf with the intention of guilding the copper plates and spraying it with salt water to get the patination of the real plates, well they dissolved so that's out so now I'm thinking I will guild it then distress it with a combination of washes and such my question is ( as there is some debate as to weather it was copper or muntz metal which is an alloy of zinc and brass I think) should I guild it with copper or brass.

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along very nicely,do like the deck color,turned out great, ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great I do real like it well done, ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Ken. Steady as she goes!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Ooh that is looking really good Ken