Rick's 1/48 Airfix Warrior

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I posted the completed pictures of this in the mystery builder thread, nobody guessed correctly.

I got this a few years ago and it stalled for over a year befor I picked it up again and finished it off. I used the etched brass set for it but not all of the pieces (notably the mudflaps because I forgot). It went together really well, armour in scales bigger than 1/72 are not my usual gig and it has been a challenge to develop a new method of building.
I have some figures knocking about that are underway so I may knock a diorama together.

IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2423.JPG IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2425.JPG IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2435.JPG IMG_2436.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nobody would've guessed it was yours Rick, it has no wings :smiling3: Nice job, a diorama would be a good idea for displaying it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well even though you forgot the wings, you have nailed this one.
Great job. And no I would never have guessed it was you that built it in the building styles thread.

D

dubster72

Nope I never guessed, although I thought it was a great build & still do!

I'd like to see a touch more weathering coz like any desert vehicle, they take a beating from windblown sand. Also a wash would add depth & make the details pop out more.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nope I never guessed, although I thought it was a great build & still do!

I'd like to see a touch more weathering coz like any desert vehicle, they take a beating from windblown sand. Also a wash would add depth & make the details pop out more.

I think you have a fair point there Patrick. I haven't gone with any chipping or paint erosion effects, just dust, soot and an oil spill at the fuel filler. You can't see in these pictures but the wheels and underframe have a thicker layer of dirt and dried mud. There was a lot of experimenting involved with this build and it is interesting to learn how armour subjects go together and the painting/weathering/finishing differs somewhat from aircraft.
A 1/35 scale armour subject in the future then???

D

dubster72

I think you have a fair point there Patrick. I haven't gone with any chipping or paint erosion effects, just dust, soot and an oil spill at the fuel filler. You can't see in these pictures but the wheels and underframe have a thicker layer of dirt and dried mud. There was a lot of experimenting involved with this build and it is interesting to learn how armour subjects go together and the painting/weathering/finishing differs somewhat from aircraft.
A 1/35 scale armour subject in the future then???

There's definitely a big difference between aircraft & armour building Rick. Not just in finishing & painting, but in construction too.

I bought a Tamiya Matilda a couple of days ago, & I've built it already! Couldn't say that with a similar aircraft kit in most respects ;)

I think it's good to try both, so I'd enjoy seeing you do a 1/35 armour kit :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There's definitely a big difference between aircraft & armour building Rick. Not just in finishing & painting, but in construction too.

I bought a Tamiya Matilda a couple of days ago, & I've built it already! Couldn't say that with a similar aircraft kit in most respects ;)

I think it's good to try both, so I'd enjoy seeing you do a 1/35 armour kit :smiling3:

Well I do have Trumpeter's plough fitted Challenger in the loft but I have no time to build it for the foreseeable future.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick