Rick's 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom FGR2, 1435 Flt Stanley Airport

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here is my entry for this GB. I bought this kit a few years ago and although the 74 Sqn kite is tempting this will become a 23 Sqn/1435 Flt Phantom based at Stanley Airport in the Falkland Islands. I have some aftermarket seats and etched metal along with a decal sheet with the appropriate markings - I really like this sheet and there is every possibility I will use some of the others on more 1/48 kits, let's see how many of you make the connection.

Is it nearly January?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And the the photo that inspired this particular subject,

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good choice Rick. The colour of the 74sqd bird is a buggier to get right... I think they were painted in the US prior to delivery and they botched the colour as best they could to the RAF spec. 

Do you have a picture of the bird you will be doing?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good choice Rick. The colour of the 74sqd bird is a buggier to get right... I think they were painted in the US prior to delivery and they botched the colour as best they could to the RAF spec. 

I've had a search online but XV466 in these markings are hard to find. There is a nice one of her in light grey with a white fin and Maltese cross. Fortunately there are plenty of photos of FI Phantoms so I should be able to produce a kite with the right weapons fit.

First Name
Dave
Looking forward to seeing this one built Rick. I was in the RAF down at Stanley in 1981 supporting the Phantoms.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

Yes, I foresee variations in the shades of grey being a challenge to replicate. This clearly needs some further research and maybe a visit to Hendon for another look at their Phantom.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looking forward to seeing this one built Rick. I was in the RAF down at Stanley in 1981 supporting the Phantoms.

Thanks Dave. Any tips on the typical weapons load would be appreciated. So far from what I can tell they carried two missile types, external wing mounted tanks and centreline Sneb - would that be an accurate summary?

Also, I'm thinking about the base to mount it on so when these were on QRA were they under a shelter or in a HAS? Were they parked with canopies open, blanks fitted and Houchin plugged in?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like a tasty kit.

I did a quick comparison with the Eduard Phantom, this kit has the fuselage in two halve along the centreline while Eduard's has it as a one piece...there may be trouble (and swearing) ahead.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Dave. Any tips on the typical weapons load would be appreciated. So far from what I can tell they carried two missile types, external wing mounted tanks and centreline Sneb - would that be an accurate summary?

Also, I'm thinking about the base to mount it on so when these were on QRA were they under a shelter or in a HAS? Were they parked with canopies open, blanks fitted and Houchin plugged in?

They were used purely for air defence at Stanely. So no sneb pods. Just 4 sidewinders,4 skyflash and they always flew with Sargent fletcher wing tanks fitted. I've got a photo I took of one on the line out there. Will look for it when I'm home on Thursday as I'm currently connying at BA Glasgow. There were no HAS at Stanley in 1981. They were parked outside or put in HAS shaped tents for maintenance

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Dave, looking forward to seeing your picture. You mentioned you were there in 1981, so before the Falklands war?

Did you you ever get sent to look for Sgt Fletcher?

First Name
Dave
When i was a young JT airframe fitter posted to AMS at Coningsby, i was asked if i wanted to play sports for the squadron. I said yes and was sent to the tank bay to ask for sergeant fletcher. Luckily one of the older lads asked me where i was going and told me it was a wind up!. I was out there 3 weeks after the war finished and spent 4 months at Stanley.My mistake , it must have been july 1982 as the war was april to june of that year. Phantoms parked outside had canopies closed because of the weather

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Resin seats and Eduard cockpit etched metal. The wheels and canopies are from the kit.
image.jpeg
Sprue shots.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Instructions.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Decal sheets - original from the kit and aftermarket from Xtradecal.
image.jpeg

Xtradecal instructions.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have started this one, honest. So far all I have achieved is painting the inside of the fuselage and cockpit parts in MSG ready for the etched metal bits and I've made a dent in painting the bang seats but no pictures yet.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I spent a couple of hours doing the etched metal cockpit detail tonight, most of it is complete with the other bits needing fitted after the fuselage is joined; I have just dry fitted the cockpit and fuselage for now. As you can see some surgery was needed to the nav's instrument panel but both of them needed the raised detail trimmed off.
Also added are photos of the ejection seats so far, there is still some more painting and decals to add then they can be set aside for later.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
A good start Rick.Ive made a couple of these over the years.Nice kits.Getting hard to find now though.Ive got a navy FG1 in the stash,but would like one of these.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice. I do like a bit of cockpit PE, it makes all the difference.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A good start Rick.Ive made a couple of these over the years.Nice kits.Getting hard to find now though.Ive got a navy FG1 in the stash,but would like one of these.

These don't pop up often on eBay or elsewhere, I saw this one in a Hamburg model shop a couple of tears ago and snaffled it for €43, that was before the exchange rate dropped.