Discussion in 'Aeroplanes Under Construction' started by rickoshea52, Feb 6, 2017.
Looks good to me rick. They were also used as A/C tugs in the field
Yes, I've seen footage of them towing aircraft, i have a Flightpath airfield accessories kit that has a tow arm so I have that option to add some interest.
A bit of progress on these over the last week or so. So they are assembled for painting with the cockpit surround and canopies sprayed black then a primer coat, after that the grey followed by the green. Applying the white tack worms was a real drag, twice over! This wrap around camouflage scheme is just horrible to do, I got a bit cross eyed at times. I used foam ear plugs cut length ways for the intake masking blanks, I will try using this to replicate intake blanks on the finished model.
Its all coming along very nicely Rick
Now unwrapped. There was a fair bit of touch up required where the maskol didn't cover the grey - this is the first time trying the camouflage this way as I didn't fancy cutting up loads of tiny bits of masking tape for the infills.
You can see some of the add on bits, I applied a lighter shade of green to the top side of the drop tanks and also on the aircraft.
Been there done that with the tac rolls. Great work on the wrap around scheme Rick, looking very good.
oooh their very nice
looking good, i remember the wrap around scheme being a pain on the 1/48th Harrier I built a while back.
That is looking great!!
With varnish applied its time for decals, these Harriers don't have as many as Airfix's Lightning (as some of you are about to find out) but I do have to do it twice . You may notice that the under wing serials straddle the wing pylons, its best to add the pylons after the decals.
Coming on a treat mate
Looking really good Rick.
That's a mistake I've made before now. They're both looking great. Top marks for getting the camo the same on both models.
Thanks Colin. If you could compare the models side by side you might revise that accuracy comment, one of the things that bother me with these models is the fuzziness of the colour borders. Most references I see have a hard green/DSG border.
More decals. One other point on these decals, the tail RCS exhaust warning decals are tricky to apply as they go over a tight radius and ordinary setting solution won't help in sticking them down - I used Matt varnish to apply them.
Thats a couple of very nicely turned out models you have on the go there.
Your paint scheme looks really very neat.
Coming along nicely Rick.
There looking very nice indeed Rick.
Nice work Rick
Separate names with a comma.