Rick's Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR3 - engine change & crew in

Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,506
Likes
1,613
Points
113
Location
Farnborough
First Name
Rick
#61
Now that I have my workbench more or less back in action I have been picking at some of my stalled builds. It is about time I had a go at the brass work, particularly the PSP from Flightpath, it wasn’t as tedious as I first thought. With a good light source, magnifier, scissors, sanding pad and a decent folding tool I made light work of about half the PSP in less than an hour, the planks can be cut in half so that you can get an evenly laid area...and they even interlock together per the real thing. Painting next and some base board work then I can get them laid out.


500F385F-17CB-4D73-9637-DED51D8D4AEF.jpeg 6872184A-BAB2-47DD-B9A2-656E4B14EB49.jpeg 6BAE67D2-C4B9-4632-B8B9-CF834AA32429.jpeg 4E503F2C-10A1-48BF-92C3-45F00DBC83EF.jpeg 4E503F2C-10A1-48BF-92C3-45F00DBC83EF.jpeg 4A372EB0-836F-4EA5-92C9-0C62AFCF8D51.jpeg C1B81F9D-5218-4F0E-86D0-FA829A916266.jpeg
 

Attachments

Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,506
Likes
1,613
Points
113
Location
Farnborough
First Name
Rick
#62
The 1/2 ton Land Rover from Oxford Diecast has begun its transformation from UN & Commando markings to Royal Air Force green with yellow stripes. I began with painting out the printed on markings but it quickly became clear this would look crap so the acrylic paint was washed off. Then I had a light bulb moment and remembered my railway modeller trick for removing tampo printed markings - T-Cut. I used to renumber my locos and rolling stock using this method to remove the factory printed numbers and it worked a treat on this model too, the bonus with this method is it leaves a shiny surface for the yellow RAF stripes to be applied to. The only drawback is I can’t use T-Cut to remove the Commando dagger on the tail fender without also removing the other printed detail.

194F1341-A734-4119-9ADC-F9ED664A3C4D.jpeg C168F6C9-A7E6-4C56-A894-787E7EB52406.jpeg 337C71BD-9BAA-44BC-9CB3-89058CF02399.jpeg
 

John Race

SMF Poster
Joined
May 26, 2015
Messages
594
Likes
359
Points
63
Location
lincs
First Name
John
#63
Rick.
Not normally a wingy man , but living near Wittering we had Harriers flying around here for years, so thought I would look in .
Some great work , more so for that scale, love the etch, you've done a superb job on that . Looking forward to seeing the set up .
John .
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,506
Likes
1,613
Points
113
Location
Farnborough
First Name
Rick
#65
I'm going to use the Flightpath airfield accessories set towing arm, what a pain. The brass rod supplied has an internal diameter too small for the cast fittings, after cutting the rod to the lengths required a session of filing the id with a round needle file and drilling was needed. The case fittings and rod have been superglued together and left to set. The ruler and tools are for scale and the other photo shows the tools used, yes, a hammer.
IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0908.JPG
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,506
Likes
1,613
Points
113
Location
Farnborough
First Name
Rick
#66
The Land Rover has a yellow disc on the front grill which is really thick and over scale so it has been replaced by a white disc cut from thin plasticard using a set of hole cutting pliers. I have no idea what the yellow disc means or indeed a white one but it will stay white (it is hiding the locating hole in the grill!)
On another note, the Commando dagger formation badge on the rear fender came off by scraping gently with a number 11 scalpel.

IMG_0906.JPG
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,506
Likes
1,613
Points
113
Location
Farnborough
First Name
Rick
#71
PSP painted in dark green but I will vary the shades and paint some in different colours in a later session - the crew access ladders were painted too.
The Harriers themselves are almost done with just a few minor paint touch ups to do. I used Vallejo gloss varnish - utter rubbish finish and loads of airbrush blockages but the decals went on ok and a pin wash for the panels makes them pop out. The matt coat is AK ultra matt - awesome! I’m a convert. You might also see a Vulcan drying on the paint stand, this is my daughter’s and has been coated in Alclad aqueous gloss - double awesome! Another convert.
When the Harriers were assembled with their landing gear and out riggers I found that the flat surface of the base was too narrow so a quick bit of tissue and pva mix was added, painted and scatter applied; the white strip will be a section of concrete road. There is also a parking bay for some MT - maybe a bowser, Unimog etc.

2194C327-3B4A-4054-B7A9-CD201F5D5232.jpeg D1A4A58E-AED6-460D-BEEE-8C678CA6F2AF.jpeg 5EFDA6FB-49F0-40EA-A917-E987BBD25252.jpeg 5783A86C-EF56-48EF-9105-BB1B07D9BB9B.jpeg 124BBEE5-87D3-4DC4-A3CB-86BA8D241B5E.jpeg 41C2799A-DF40-4D4E-BA1C-9E3660E6465A.jpeg E2156F66-D7A1-47C1-B117-1FA3F9BB54DA.jpeg
 
Top