Rick's Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR3 - engine change & crew in

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This won't be started for a while as I am still waiting for some bits and pieces to come together for it. I plan to build two Airfix Harriers from the latest tooling 1/72 range and work them into a hide diorama but I will keep the aircraft build thread here.
One of these aircraft will be built using the CMK resin engine kit, I used their engine kit for the Airfix Lightning last year and really liked it. The second Harrier will be posed with the pilot crewing in ready for a sortie and armed with Aden belly mounted guns from the kit and resin rocket pods from Freightdog. Both jets will be modified with Freightdog's corrected fin and Bren Gun's ladders.
Cluttering up the hide will be a pair of "Y" loader GSE, Houchin GPU, tow arm, fire extinguishers, lineys and MT. The MT (motor transport) will include an Oxford Die Cast TACR2 fire engine, a 4 ton bowser (using a part finished model), a repainted Unimog from Wiking and hopefully a 1/4 Land Rover from Oxford Die Cast. PSP from Flightpath will be used for the taxi ways on a scratchbuilt base that has yet to be finalised for size.

The outstanding pieces are the 1/4 Land Rover, replacement fins, rocket pods, maybe some resin seats and decals for jets from the same Sqn, and of course a suitably sized base.....and the time.

Any comments advice or information is welcome especially if you have first hand knowledge of RAFG Harrier hide ops.

The kit, I have two of these.

image.jpeg

The engine detailing kit. Only one aircraft will be detailed.
image.jpeg

Y loaders. The aircraft with the engine kit will have the weapons removed from the outer wing pylons and posed on this GSE.
image.jpeg

Both aircraft will have a ladder fitted. The crew in jet will have the pilot seated or climbing the steps.
image.jpeg

There should be plenty of PSP here for a diorama.
image.jpeg

Unimogs were used by Harrier sqns in the field and particularly in RAF Germany. This will need to be repainted but conveniently is LH drive.
image.jpeg

TACR2's were used for field ops as far as my research has shown, this should make an interesting corner filler.
image.jpeg

The Airfix (ex-JB Models) Bedford 4 ton MK bowser. This is a part finished model that I am rescuing from the shelf of doom. The RAF roundel comes from a Kingfisher decal sheet. You may be wondering why the cab is covered, when I was building this I used maskol to protect the transparency but I forgot to remove it from the inside before gluing the cab to the base....purple windows isn't a good look so some painted tissue paper and thread was used to create this effect. I believe it was common to thrown hessian sheet over windscreens to prevent reflections when in the field so this should fit in well after some gentle weathering.
image.jpeg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Going the whole hog!! :eek:

NICE!!:cool::cool:

First Name
colin
I'm not normally into Wingy things but I'll follow this rick I have a bit of a soft spot for the GR3
And your right about the black hessian on the windows of vehicles under cam nets
May still have some pics if I can scan them

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well this should keep you busy and out of the pub for a while.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Will be watching this one rick , a fantastic idea for a dio. It sounds like youve got everything for a busy scene , its going to look amazing. Whats the problem with the kit fins?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm not normally into Wingy things but I'll follow this rick I have a bit of a soft spot for the GR3
And your right about the black hessian on the windows of vehicles under cam nets

Any photos you have would be appreciated, there seems to be a finite number on the web.

First Name
colin
Rick I have a album full of harriers on field ops in baor exercise Lionheart if I remember rightly at my parents next time I'm there I'll dig em out
Meanwhile go to YouTube type in NATO coldwar harrier force

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
One of the features of a Harrier hide is of course the camouflage netting, there is off the shelf and ready made camouflage netting available but it just didn't look the part to me. I have read that gauze dressings are a cheap alternative, it just so happens that I have a bountiful supply in my cupboard courtesy of my wife's job as a counter assistant in our local chemist. Once dyed or painted with some Woodlands Scenics scatter glued on I think I will have as much I need.

IMG_2382.JPG

First Name
colin
Hi Rick
Gauze works brilliantly as camo net.
Personally I mix very dark green acrylic with watered down PVA.
Stretch the gauze across a piece of clingfilm covered foamboard then paint the PVA/paint mix onto the gauze.
Remove the excess paint with kitchen roll and leave to dry
HTH

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Rick
Stretch the gauze across a piece of clingfilm covered foamboard then paint the PVA/paint mix onto the gauze.
HTH

Thanks Colin. I was going to pose the question but you've answered already and saved a bit of research.

Top man.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Rick
HTH
Now this is timely, I need to make a camo net for my Scorpion build. So I will also thank you Colin.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of the features of a Harrier hide is of course the camouflage netting, there is off the shelf and ready made camouflage netting available but it just didn't look the part to me. I have read that gauze dressings are a cheap alternative, it just so happens that I have a bountiful supply in my cupboard courtesy of my wife's job as a counter assistant in our local chemist. Once dyed or painted with some Woodlands Scenics scatter glued on I think I will have as much I need.

View attachment 276665
I will watch what you do with this Rick.