First Name
colin
Looks good to me rick. They were also used as A/C tugs in the field

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good to me rick. They were also used as A/C tugs in the field

Yes, I've seen footage of them towing aircraft, i have a Flightpath airfield accessories kit that has a tow arm so I have that option to add some interest.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A bit of progress on these over the last week or so. So they are assembled for painting with the cockpit surround and canopies sprayed black then a primer coat, after that the grey followed by the green. Applying the white tack worms was a real drag, twice over! This wrap around camouflage scheme is just horrible to do, I got a bit cross eyed at times. I used foam ear plugs cut length ways for the intake masking blanks, I will try using this to replicate intake blanks on the finished model.
IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2738.JPG
    IMG_2738.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 8

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Now unwrapped. There was a fair bit of touch up required where the maskol didn't cover the grey - this is the first time trying the camouflage this way as I didn't fancy cutting up loads of tiny bits of masking tape for the infills.
You can see some of the add on bits, I applied a lighter shade of green to the top side of the drop tanks and also on the aircraft.

IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2745.JPG IMG_2746.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Been there done that with the tac rolls. Great work on the wrap around scheme Rick, looking very good.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
looking good, i remember the wrap around scheme being a pain on the 1/48th Harrier I built a while back.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
With varnish applied its time for decals, these Harriers don't have as many as Airfix's Lightning (as some of you are about to find out) but I do have to do it twice . You may notice that the under wing serials straddle the wing pylons, its best to add the pylons after the decals.

IMG_2757.JPG IMG_2758.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Colin. If you could compare the models side by side you might revise that accuracy comment, one of the things that bother me with these models is the fuzziness of the colour borders. Most references I see have a hard green/DSG border.

T

Tony

Thats a couple of very nicely turned out models you have on the go there.

Your paint scheme looks really very neat.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After thinking this through with a clearer head and sizing up both Harriers to assess the size of base required I just don't have the space available for a two ship diorama plus all the vehicles etc. So using this box frame and some polystyrene sheet I want to try and create a field hide site with slightly uneven ground. I have seen some hide sites with the Harriers taxiing from the PSP rising onto a road, this is something I want to recreate. The use of a box frame gives me the option of including a culvert/ditch and foxholes - if the RAF ever bothered with them!
More later.

IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2981.JPG