Rick's Lightning Servicing Flight. 1/72 Airfix English Electric Lightning F6

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I finished this as far as I want to for now but there is so much more that could be added and probably will.

Taking inspiration from a photo found on the internet and a resin engine set from CMK I cobbled this together. The base is a wooden box with scratch built walls and doors etc. The portakabin, access platform and Houchin are all from kits. The jacks, spare engine and stand, folded step ladders and drip tray are all scratch built.

Vallejo paints used throughout, the Lighning was painted with their metal colour range. The Lightning kit is well detailed and the resin insert fits nicely but the intake trunking needed slimming down to prevent a gap in the fuselage appearing.

I will post better pictures later.

Detail for you to look for;

Tools - spanner and hammer.

FOD bins

F707 job cards

AP's

Flight Safety posters (and sexist poster)

Spares rack

Roof top debris on the portakabin - broken chair, safety boot (a prank by the Riggers) and soft drinks cans.

Fire extinguisher

Lightning build thread here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/topic/24710-ricks-airfix-172-english-electric-lightning-f6/?page=1

Hanagr build thread here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/topic/22609-the-hangar/?page=1

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent work, lots to look at.  Nice to see all the bits come together.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gobsmackingly good rick ! I love it ,its amazingly detailed and superbly composed and built, top class work cheers tony

D

Deleted member 4539

Really love this.

Excellent modelling and detail work :smiling3: .

My Dad worked on building the Lightning

K

kintosh

Wonderful Dio of an exceptional aircraft.  I used to drive if I remember the Austin J2 van . Really atmospheric although not found the sexist photo yet.

Bob

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Rick, both the Lightning and the hangar and all it's detailed bits and pieces have been superbly brought together. Quite simply this is amazing work, you could look at it for a long time. Great job mate.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Awesome work Rick. I really liked the build thread on this one, some stunning work to pull this great diorama off. Once again great work Rick.

B

Builder

Really nice work Rick, I might do something like this in the future so will really come back and have a look at this when that time comes. Thanks for posting mate!