Polux

Interesting :rolleyes:

I'm with Moni, will look forward to seeing this all come together

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Rick

I'm sorry but Lance Sgt Baskeyfield did not use an m3 howitzer during his VC action. He crewed, first one, then 2 (after the crew were killed) 6 pounder anti tank guns before he himself was killed in defence of the Oosterbeek pocket. It was here that the british airborne troops set up a defensive perimeter. Later, those that were able, made their escape across the lower Rhine.

The M3 was used at Arnhem though as indirect fire in support of Frost's men at the bridge (It has a very limited anti tank role). So your proposed diorama is still plausible but for historical accuracy this cannot be the Baskeyfield action.

I look forward to seeing both this and the Dakota develop and I'm sure they'll both be terrific models.

All the best

Paul

J

John Huggins

What ever you do with it Rick i'm sure it will be good.

Look forward to seeing it come together.

John

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Hi RickI'm sorry but Lance Sgt Baskeyfield did not use an m3 howitzer during his VC action. He crewed, first one, then 2 (after the crew were killed) 6 pounder anti tank guns before he himself was killed in defence of the Oosterbeek pocket. It was here that the british airborne troops set up a defensive perimeter. Later, those that were able, made their escape across the lower Rhine.

The M3 was used at Arnhem though as indirect fire in support of Frost's men at the bridge (It has a very limited anti tank role). So your proposed diorama is still plausible but for historical accuracy this cannot be the Baskeyfield action.

I look forward to seeing both this and the Dakota develop and I'm sure they'll both be terrific models.

All the best

Paul
Paul, it wasn't until after I created the thread that I went looking for a picture of a painting depicting Baskeyfield's action at Arnhem. I'd seen this painting many times before and used to visit the Airborne Forces Museum in Aldershot (I live in neighbouring Farnborough) regularly until it moved.

When I saw it again my mistake was clear to see as they are not pack Howitzers in the painting. Further research showed that this type of gun was used at Arnhem as you say.

Humph! I'm off to find a six pounder to go with the Airborne gun crew from the Howitzer kit. Incidentally, a miniature motorbike is included in the kits.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Rick

I only pointed this out in the interests of historical accuracy (as I hope anyone would with any of my models). I though I'd point it out now rather than someone pointing it out when the dio was nearing completion which would be really frustrating.

I've seen the sketch of Baskeyfield's action with what looks to be a Stug coming toward him. To be honest this is probably artistic licence too as I doubt whether the engagements actually took place at such close distances.

This heroic and selfless act by Sgt Baskeysfield is a very worthy subject of a diorama for the Market Garden SSIG. In fact the SSIG would be really lacking without it so I'm glad you're tackling it.

I'm sure this diorama will be a great addition to the SSIG and will depict a truly heroic event in an operation full of heroism.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers P :smiling3:

Ps. The airborne 6 pounder differs from the regular version with shortened axle, altered armoured shield and other minor alts (I don't think this is that critical though).

PPs. As I said before the M3A1 howitzer was used at Arnhem so you could still go with models you have just not as Baskeyfield.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Hi RickI only pointed this out in the interests of historical accuracy (as I hope anyone would with any of my models). I though I'd point it out now rather than someone pointing it out when the dio was nearing completion which would be really frustrating.

I've seen the sketch of Baskeyfield's action with what looks to be a Stug coming toward him. To be honest this is probably artistic licence too as I doubt whether the engagements actually took place at such close distances.

This heroic and selfless act by Sgt Baskeysfield is a very worthy subject of a diorama for the Market Garden SSIG. In fact the SSIG would be really lacking without it so I'm glad you're tackling it.

I'm sure this diorama will be a great addition to the SSIG and will depict a truly heroic event in an operation full of heroism.

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers P :smiling3:

Ps. The airborne 6 pounder differs from the regular version with shortened axle, altered armoured shield and other minor alts (I don't think this is that critical though).

PPs. As I said before the M3A1 howitzer was used at Arnhem so you could still go with models you have just not as Baskeyfield.
No worries with the accuracy comments, they're most welcome. Airfix do a 6 pounder but as you described I expected that the Airborne version would be modified for this role and some tinkering would be required. It's a shame the ABF museum has moved because I could drop in there any time.

If your read the story of Baskeyfield at Arnhem he did in fact engage two German tanks at less than 100 yards. I've heard that they Tigers and later an SP gun.

But what is beyond doubt is the courage and bravery displayed by him and all of the Airborne troops at Arnhem. The legend that was cast in the die of battle there continues in today's Airborne soldiers as action in Helmand, Longdon and Goose Green shows. I have a particular interest in British Airborne forces as my father was in 3 Para at Longdon.

C

callmehobbes

If this build is still going ahead there is now an airborne 6lber from bronco and possibly one from AFV (?) It's a scene worth being shown.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
If this build is still going ahead there is now an airborne 6lber from bronco and possibly one from AFV (?) It's a scene worth being shown.
I've seen the Bronco one and it looks great but mine is 1/72 scale. I have the Airfix 6 pounder which I need to modify to the airborne variant but getting decent pictures is proving difficult. If the Airborne Forces Museum was still in Aldershot I'd be okay but sadly it has moved. However, I am in France this week and returning via Ouistreham and hopefully I might find an example in one of the D-day museums but I'm not sure anti-tanks were used.

The target for this diorama will be a knocked out Stug that I have two reference photos of.