rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some drilling for all those extra bumps is required before closing the fuselage on this then some filling is also required to remove the cargo by doors and rear entry door, this is a modified B737 and you may also notice later there are next to no cabin windows.

The wings are an easy fit and the engines too. This could be a brief build - work permitting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks simple and effective Rick. The P-8 is being looked at as a possible replacement for the P-3 all over the world. They say the only real replacement for an Orion is a new Orion. Can't imagine a P-8 would have amazing endurance at low level.

Look forward to your next instalment.

First Name
Dave
The P8 can only stay 4 hours on station in the anti submarine roll.And it only has a 1200 nmi combat radius.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some lumps and bumps added, very fiddly. The fin needs the tip cut off and replaced with an add on from the kit that has an extra fairing - the instructions don't show how to do this. There are lots of blade aerials to go on but I think I'll do them after priming at least and some more filling.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Rick. Not envying your job of fitting the bumps in that scale.

The P8 can only stay 4 hours on station in the anti submarine roll.And it only has a 1200 nmi combat radius.

That's dismal endurance/radius. The P-3 can manage 12 hours + by shutting down a few engines on station. The record time aloft for a P-3 is 21.5 hours, achieved in 1972 by a Royal New Zealand Air Force P-3B. Not feasible for a 737-based airframe to be shutting down engines. ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I would try cutting a circle out of wide tamiya tape rick , throw away the circle and use the bit with the hole in it , its a bit of a bugger to get central but it works, dont be tempted to take the masking off while the paint is still drying though, it can drag the paint as it comes off the nose. I used this method on my ilyushin il 96m airliner and it worked for me, hope this helps cheers tony 

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Taking Tony's advice I used a pair of hole punch pliers to make a mask for the radome, it's not the neatest of jobs but it is the best I can get it. There was a blemish on the top of the fuselage that needed a touch up so this was masked and sprayed, however I didn't notice it until after I had applied the decals and sprayed with Humbrol Clear. When I removed the masking part of the decals came away, I have a spare starbar but the least damaged can be painted and also the "NAVY" lettering will need touched in....hopefully.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg