Rick's Raspberry Ripple BAe Hawk

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have had some time to make a dent in this slowed (but not stalled) build. IP fitted with a bit of trimming so that the pilot's coaming wasn't fouling and secured with CA. The side consoles just don't look right with the seats dry fitted and may need jiggled about.

View attachment 119024

The wings, horizontal stabilisers, intakes, airbrake and engine bay panel are also glued on with the airbrake in the closed position. The flap hinges were an interesting affair, the instructions are all wrong the part numbers for the flaps up/down hinge positions. The flaps themselves are going to be interesting to fit, one is too long for the trailing edge and the smaller section of the slotted flap has lousy guide markings for fitting! (Not shown here)

Some filling has been done but there is much left to including those holes in the wings for weapons pylons that won't be fitted.

View attachment 119025

View attachment 119029

View attachment 119030

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Rick. I've stalled somewhat too, but will get back into my Raspberry Ripple Hawk soon.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Cockpit is looking good Rick. Sounds like this kit has a few minor niggles.
The model is okay, the detail kit was designed for the Italeri version so doesn't quite fit as neatly as you'd like.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So...priming, for the canopy I will use black primer but for the rest I'm thinking of using white as two of the finished colours will be white and light grey.

Any advice?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Rick. I used white primer on my Hawk, got the red and blue on with no serious issues. 1/72 was probably a little too small to worry about using a different primer on the canopy frame. Obvioulsy I haven't had any build time so that's as far as I got so far, but if I were to build the larger scale version I would do it the same.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The canopy has been primed in dark panzer grey primer from Vallejo, I thought I had black but it won't matter much, the idea is that the internal surface of the canopy frame is dark. A coat of white will go on next.

View attachment 123697

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I encountered a problem with the wing leading edge fences, they are flimsy, too thin and of course broke when applied glue. I managed to glue them back on but one fell off again and disappeared. A replacement was made from plasticard, I hope the join might disappear after they're painted.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg