Rick's Sweet Decals 1/144 Seakings. D flight 202 Sqn. RAF Lossiemouth c2003

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
All done. 

Build thread here; http://www.scale-models.co.uk/topic/24304-ricks-westland-sea-king-har3-x2-1144-by-sweet-decal/#comment-290338

This is my effort in modelling D Flight 202 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth from around 2003. Both of these cabs saw service on the flight and I worked on both of them, a particularly notable time was when XZ586 went U/S in Benbecula and required a main rotor gearbox change in the field. This cab retained the DSG from her time in the Falkland Islands until going to St. Mawgan for major maintenance. Some wag had painted a couple of bullet holes on the main cabin door, if you look closely I have modelled these to maintain authenticity. The yellow cab, ZE370, was a long serving machine on D Flt and I changed the MRGB on her as well.

D Flt were tasked with keeping at least one cab on readiness 24/7 to be airborne within 15 minutes from 0700-2300 and at 45 minutes during the night, when on duty the crews would do a 24 hour shift sleeping in the hangar overnight. The cabs could be scrambled at any time and often in the late evening or night. 

The cabs were numbered with the call signs Seaking 137 (1st standby aircraft) & 138 (2nd standby aircraft) and being renumbered to Rescue 137 & 138 when scrambled and received priority air traffic assistance when using these call signs and being controlled from the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre (ARCC) at nearby RAF Kinloss. It was rare that both cabs would be on a job at the same time though 2nd might be on a training flight while the first standby was scrambled but most of the time the 2nd would be tits up in the hangar. Tasking could vary from mountain rescue, medical evacuation, sea rescue and in one case VIP transport.

Enjoy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Awesome work on two very tiny helicopters Rick. Loved the build thread and even more so the finished diorama.

well done a great build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Rick, they're looking fantastic. The base is awesome, if the frame wasn't there that last photo in particular looks like a real life scene, waiting for the call out. Great build Rick.