Rigging material for a Titanic

S

Stevekir

My (just bought) Academy 1/400 Titanic mentions softened and puled sprue for the large amount of rigging, for eg. the funnels and masts (see pic attached). It also mentions "Threads" and that got me thinking. Would sewing thread be a good idea, or very fine elastic thread sold by sewing material shops. The advantage of a stretchable rigging is that it would not sag (if lightly stretched on installation).

.Titanic Rigging.jpg

Thoughts please. Thanks

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
Haven't used it myself yet, but I know a lot of people use EZ Line. Comes in two sizes: fine & heavy.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

EZ line in my opinion would be way too fine as it's designed for aircraft. I think stretched sprue could be done and it doesn't sag if done correctly.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Stretched sprue - too scary. Will you be able to get it all the same thickness, I doubt I could. However EZline was made for the job. It's great stuff, just secure it with CA glue.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I bought some easy line for my Hood build and just could not get on with it. Even the thickest was way to fine and having "builders hands" I found that the stuff catches in the tiniest bits of roughness. I used fine flyting thread and CA glued the knots. You just need to be careful not to pull it tight or you will start to bend things.... Just like I did.

First Name
Gwyn
EZLine is great to use with superglue and an excellerator, and also I believe comes in different thicknesses.

S

Stevekir

Thanks folks. Which should I get for the rigging of a 1/400 Titanic - Fine or Heavy? I ask mainly concerning appearance. I would choose black.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not sure what you mean about messages Steve. I've just checked my inbox and found messages going back 3 years, although I've got no idea if that's all of them.

S

Stevekir

Not sure what you mean about messages Steve. I've just checked my inbox and found messages going back 3 years, although I've got no idea if that's all of them.
I found it, under the Inbox button at the top.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks Gern for the samples of EZ-line. They make me sure that the 0.25 mm size is the correct one for me.

BTW, I find that private messages are not saved for long in this message board. See:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/private-messages-missing.26047/#post-320531

The advice is to note the contents of a private message immediately.

Message don’t get deleted, some really old ones might have gone with a previous upgrade

As for rigging, have you looked at Uschi? I don’t know how much you get one an ez line real, it’s been a long time since I sold it, but you get 45m on Uschi
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Uschi+rigging