Rigging?!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Chaps,
I'm thinking about my next Wingy project,and,have decided to go on a bit of a nostalgia trip.....
8492.jpg
..did a 1/72 one as a mere boy,(badly I suspect!! :smiling3: ).
It's my first foray into WW1 aircraft since those days and I have 2 basic questions when it comes to the rigging....
1.... What do you use,and....
2..... How'd you do it....
Told you they were basic!!:tears-of-joy:
Any pointers,tips etc would be much appreciated :thumb2:
Cheers

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
In 1:48 scale, I like to make tiny rigging eyes and CA these into my pre drilled holes.
Then using 0.085mm fishing line, if carefully planned, you can get a good run from eye to eye rather than using individual lengths for each bit of rigging. Secure everything with CA glue. Now the really good bit. If one length is a little baggy, heat a no.11 blade up (or similar) hold it near the loose rigging and watch it tighten itself up, just like magic.
Sometimes, you can get away with just wrapping the rigging around the top or bottom of the strut in this scale.
I’ve used ‘easy line’ in the past, which is good, but has a square profile, which can be visible, so looks a bit wrong.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
In 1:48 scale, I like to make tiny rigging eyes and CA these into my pre drilled holes.
Then using 0.085mm fishing line, if carefully planned, you can get a good run from eye to eye rather than using individual lengths for each bit of rigging. Secure everything with CA glue. Now the really good bit. If one length is a little baggy, heat a no.11 blade up (or similar) hold it near the loose rigging and watch it tighten itself up, just like magic.
Sometimes, you can get away with just wrapping the rigging around the top or bottom of the strut in this scale.
I’ve used ‘easy line’ in the past, which is good, but has a square profile, which can be visible, so looks a bit wrong.
Blimmin Eck that sounds tricky,(love the tip about tightening up with the heat :cool: ).
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain that Colin,I will get some fishing line and give it a go:thumb2:, I'm guessing you make the eyelets out of copper wire?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It sounds much worse than it is. I use tinned copper wire, looks a bit more correct. However, have a search on line and you might find turnbuckles in this scale which really do look the part. I’m just to tight to buy them.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Personally, I use Ezline glued into holes in the aircraft. DR1 is a good first choice though, nowhere near as much rigging as some of ‘em….
Cheers Tim,
I remember you saying that when I put this on "latest acquisitions" a short while ago,so I thought I'd ease myself in gently...... still a bit daunting though. :flushed:
I won't be starting it for a while, want to get my method sorted out,and, supplies in.:thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Good choice for a first crack at rigging andy , its got very little , just between the undercarriage struts and the cabane struts in front of the pilot. Looking forward to seeing this one , cheers tony