Roberts first ever ship build. Tamiya 1/700 HMS Rodney ( waterline ) I dnr

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I eventually got the kit after a few weeks mulling over what the best kit to get me teeth into something new.
I say it's my first ship build but I tried my hand at building the Victory in wood kit but that seemed not for me and went to a new home.
I also tried my hand at a fletcher 1/350 but that was when I just git back into making models again ( so that ended going to a friends to get finished.
So this will be my first ever full build of a ship (thanks to Fenlander helping me with ref material and where to start on the Ship building) he told me it's addictive . So HMS Rodney is going to be my mark. The kit seems simple enough to construct but I have bought PE to try and make it look that much better. I got RN railings from Starling Models STM01 ( 1/700 scale ) also I purchased from Toms Modelworks 737 Rodney and Nelson detail set.
I've worked with PE before but only in Seatbelts and the odd cockpit but never on a ship. I've got lots of PVA and a mix of CA glue but I may have to see John at Scale Model Shop for some good thin CA
Ref pics are hard to find and source but I have a few and have trawled the Internet on other compleated versions of Rodney and Nelson of the and so I'm going to go with paint ref from Tamiya and convert as best as possible to Vallejo/ model Air / model Color
The kit is an old kit according to paperwork 1977 but the details are crisp and I don't see any flash on the sprues. Clean up should be easy that way.
There is a nice raised detail on the decking but I have found a couple of sink marks that may need addressing ( mainly at the bow) A few ejector pin marks on the life boats but nothing that can't be sorted.
My plan is to depict the HMS Rodney as she appeared at the latter stages of the " Sink the Bismark " with her all dressed in Admiralty Dark Grey ( Admiralty Code AP507A ) home fleet.
The only thing I was annoyed with is that I didn't find any flags in the kit ( I'll have to source an ensign elsewhere )
I will be continuing with my Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish in between this build.
Box art and sprue shots.
Enjoy
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hope you enjoy and any help along the way would be grateful especially in colour ref

Kind regards

Robert

P

Polux

Nice one Robert!
Wow! seems the kit come with an excellent PE set isn't it...?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a very nice , crisp set of mouldings Robert , especially as theyre 40 years old! Idont envy you having to tackle those PE railings though !! cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Nice one Robert!
Wow! seems the kit come with an excellent PE set isn't it...?

All PE was at extra ( even sent for it from California ) but post was quick
Starling models in uk and got Royal Navy railings from there.

I'm not looking forward to the PE to be honest a little daunting but I'm going to give it a shot ( ladders are iddy widdy little things :oops::oops::mad::mad:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looks like a very nice , crisp set of mouldings Robert , especially as theyre 40 years old! Idont envy you having to tackle those PE railings though !! cheers tony

Really like this so far and detail for scale is really nice and oh I found another stamp and it's on the base waterline and says 1974 so damn I was 6 when they released this!! I don't wear so well though:D:D:D

F

Fenlander

Tip one. Build it, don't get bogged down with rivet counting (that can come later)

Tip two. Only do the PE that you can. Stretch yourself, as you should with every model, but don't let anything put you off building it.

Tip three. Enjoy the Model. No matter what it throws at you, smile and move on. Ships are not the easiest subject but an acceptable model can be achieved if you take your time and just do it.

Oddly, these old Tamiya kits are simpler to build than the same scale Revell but are much crisper and better engineered. I personally think this is a great kit to start off with. It has a unique look, other than HMS Nelson, her sister ship so will make a great talking point.

Obviously I am not happy what she did to my beautiful Bizzy but I will let you off this time ;)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
DAMN!! That is a lot of PE for such a small kit!:eek::eek::confused::confused:

Cool looking kit, none the less!:cool::cool:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I'm looking for the best shade for teak wood. I have deck tan but I'm thinking of pre shading dark brown tor the deck instead of black as I think b,ack would be too harsh on the deck
Anyone help with paint shades of wood ( teak )

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I cracked on and started building little sub builds but nothing is really complete yet. I started by giving the hull a nice couple of coats of black primer and then went over with 71.034 Saddle brown ( looking to achieve some shadow effects ( it's a small ship so shouldn't be too replicate the teak wood ( I'll be using Tamiya deck tan later in light strokes with the a/b to get the effect of clean deck but not that clean.
Still need to finish the 3 big turrets. I have used a little of the PE with the life rafts and also the funnel.
Still loads of work to do ( she's still not sea worthy )

Pics of progress

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Sorry I lost connection then reconnected so a bit mixed up

Enjoy

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys well I'm starting to paint the sub structures and the main decking.
With the decking I used a saddle brown as a primer ( also helped ( I hope with shading ) then went over with Tamiya deck tan XF78 in 3 light coats. I've stil to seal this before withering lightly with a very thin brown pin wash.
The 3 main turrets and bridge sub structure have Ben given 3 light coats of dark sea grey 71.053 Model air. Still to tidy up but I'm thinking is the grey too dark for the Rodney. According to reference she was painted in dark sea Grey ( Admiralty AP 507A) this is for the home fleet colour as of when she was engaged with Bismarck.
Before I go any further I would like to ask if the Dark sea grey is too dark ??
I have no colour pics to use as ref so all you ship builders would be great in letting me know
Regards

Robert
Pics and comments most welcome
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It is a bit dark. I replied to your thread in which you asked for help with a colour match.
The nearest match to home fleet grey; AP507a is in Vallejo model Color Field blue (964).
The deck is looking good but might benefit from a grey wash.
The hood association has a good reference list of paints and mixes for most of the admiralty paints.
There is a link to the site in my hood build thread.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Ian ( when I sprayed I thought the grey was a bit too dark so I'll look into the model Color ( not sure if I have it but if not I'll chap johns door at Scale Model Shop to get me one sent

Thanks

Robert