Roberts McDonnell Douglas Phantom 2 F-4C 1/48 Revell ( monogram.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys
A bit late out of the gate but eventually got my hands on a Phantom for this GB build and so this will be my entry.
It's an older kit 1979 I believe but then it's right in there with Vietnam eh
I plan to build it straight out of the box with the addition of Eduards Cockpit upgrades.
It's mainly raised and fine line panel detail and although some would sand this smooth and rescribe ........ I don't think I have the knowledge for that ( just yet ) I think is a good looking kit and not bad for a non jet builder to grind his teeth on
I'm not sure either what's what so I may need the odd bit of help here and there. All offers gresteful
Not sure on paint sceme either yet but the box art shows a tri colour camo which looks nice ( we shall see
All in I paid just over £25 for this kit and extras so not bad in my books.
Box art and sprue shots etc

Thanks for looking

Robert
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1
D

dubster72

Looks like a decent kit Robert, and to my mind the raised panel lines aren't that bad.

If you need any spares, let me know coz I'll have a few bits & bobs left over from my Phantom most likely. There are some nice resin wheels that I'm not using.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Patrick the wheels would make a nice touch I'm sure ( no where near that yet through
I'm still trying to work out the cockpit extra detail with the kit
it's an F4c and the detail up set is for detail in an FGR so I have to do a little bit of grinding and sort before I can even start in construction
How much you want for the wheels
PM me and we can do deal

Thanks Robert

D

dubster72

Thanks Patrick the wheels would make a nice touch I'm sure ( no where near that yet through
I'm still trying to work out the cockpit extra detail with the kit
it's an F4c and the detail up set is for detail in an FGR so I have to do a little bit of grinding and sort before I can even start in construction
How much you want for the wheels
PM me and we can do deal

Thanks Robert

I don't want anything for them mate. I'll just pop them in an evenlope to you.

Good luck with the pe... I'm sure you'll crack it!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys I have made a little progress on the Phantom. Starred with the cockpit tub and had to shave off some light detail for the pe set ( now the Pe Set was for the F GR version but I'm doing the C version. So far I don't see the tub being that bad. Still lots of detail to do on here like painting the harnesses and the ejector pull rings above the seats. Looking at the Mk7 ejector seats I'm not to sure if there was a side handle pull release ( although in this scale I doubt it would be seen once the fuselage is sealed up.
I've also used the metal primer ( black gloss ) on the tail afterburner area and also the tailpipes.
The tail pipes are not very detailed but I'm hoping with some weathering and metal coats I can make a reasonable approximation
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start. Robert, it looks just like the kit I'm doing, there'll not be much of the panel lines left once you've done with the filling and sanding.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Nice start. Robert, it looks just like the kit I'm doing, there'll not be much of the panel lines left once you've done with the filling and sanding.

Ouch tanks for that Ian
I think I nay poss need to get a template as I noticed the circular panels on the top central fuselages that I'm going to lose once the seam lines are sorted out. ( any suggestions

Robert

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use these Robert
image.jpeg image.jpeg
You can use the edges for the straight lines and they will also form around the fuselage for the lines that go over the top.
I also think John as them in his shop.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I use these Robert
View attachment 275766 View attachment 275767
You can use the edges for the straight lines and they will also form around the fuselage for the lines that go over the top.
I also think John as them in his shop.

Thanks Ian that will help me immensely as although it's only a No 2 in skill level ( Revells/ Monogram ) I think if your going to do something you may aswell make the best of it.
I'll check John out at Scale Model Shop

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys.
Well after getting advice from a pro ( sorry Ian didn't want to mention you ) but I have decided to take advice and go for a partial if not full Rescribe. I've ordered the Lyons Roar scribing template set 1,2,3 from John at Scale Model Shop. It seems ( no pun intended ) that the seam lines will need to be sanded quite a bit and as the plane is in two halves I'm going to lose a lot of detail. Luckily for me ( I hope that is ) there is a very good stencil placement which gives plan views etc for the Phantom so I can use this as guide for the rescribing ( fingers crossed)
Back to the cockpit tub painting
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I know most of us modellers would have seen the film "sink the Bismarck", if not read the story or heard of it but while I'm awaiting the paint to dry on my cockpit tub I looked to prepping the missiles for this build and on closer inspection I found heaps of sink holes that needs sanding ( polished and rescribing small details
This amount of sink holes could have sunk the Bismarck a lot sooner!!!!
In the 5th pic is the one I've already sanded ( just needs buffing back up before rescribing detail
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I know most of us modellers would have seen the film "sink the Bismarck", if not read the story or heard of it but while I'm awaiting the paint to dry on my cockpit tub I looked to prepping the missiles for this build and on closer inspection I found heaps of sink holes that needs sanding ( polished and rescribing small details
This amount of sink holes could have sunk the Bismarck a lot sooner!!!!
In the 5th pic is the one I've already sanded ( just needs buffing back up before rescribing detail
View attachment 275896 View attachment 275896 View attachment 275898 View attachment 275900 View attachment 275899 View attachment 275901 View attachment 275902

That looks painful. My kit doesn't come with Sidewinders so I am looking at the Eduard sets, hopefully without sink marks. I haven't checked the Skyflash missiles in the kit yet.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well that's a bit of extra work you could have done without. Never mind, you can thin the fins at the same time.

D

dubster72

Ouch! That's a shocking amount of ejector pin marks to deal with :sad:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well that's a bit of extra work you could have done without. Never mind, you can thin the fins at the same time.

Thin , thin you say they are like wafer thin now but I may coat them with some mr surfacer 1000 before I attempt a rescribe and polish. They will be getting gloss white as a top coat before the decals. Oh well back to the sanding sticks.
I may also look at Hannants for some after market missiles as to be honest these are very low quality in my opinion and more hard work than needs to be done.

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Ouch! That's a shocking amount of ejector pin marks to deal with :sad:

Yeah Patrick I'm a little disappointed with the missiles and they are quite fiddly too but it's a 1979 kit moulding and not as some of the newer mouldings.
I may look at some after market weaponry.
I would like to pose it fully loaded with bombs and rockets etc like some Vietmam pics I've seen
Any suggests

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Decided to leave the ordinance for another day and get back to the tub. Well got it all finished before I sealed it up in the fuselage. I dry brushed the interior sides with aluminium after picking out certain panels in black ( they can't be seen anyway but they are there.
It took me a while to paint the pull handles for the ejector seats, after 3 attempts, but now I'm happy with them.
I took my time with the seal up starting with the nosecone once the tub was in then worked my way back to the tail.
I'll start masking up the cockpit glazing tomorrow.
Next is the wing which I'll start by priming then spray white around the air intakes.
Enjoy and comments welcome
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
D

dubster72

Yeah Patrick I'm a little disappointed with the missiles and they are quite fiddly too but it's a 1979 kit moulding and not as some of the newer mouldings.
I may look at some after market weaponry.
I would like to pose it fully loaded with bombs and rockets etc like some Vietmam pics I've seen
Any suggests

Definitely leave them alone Rob, I'm going to include some spare missiles from my kit. There's enough in my one for 2 planes! And they're entirely free of nasty pin marks :smiling3: