Roden 1/48 Fokker DVII & Eduard 1/48 SSW.DIII

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all, with the centenary of WWI and the launch of Brad's GB no excuse to keep these in the stash:smiling::
20180722_140023_resized.jpg
20180722_140032_resized.jpg
Starting with the SSW. DIII as the first one, the sprues and decals:
20180803_211246_resized.jpg
20180803_211341_resized.jpg
As Dave Ward is doing the A scheme, I'll go for the B variant:
20180803_211410_resized.jpg
The decals are a new challenge for me, covering such a large surface of the aircraft and the wood finish will be a venture in unknown waters too.:flushed:
Thanks to Tim Marlow for pointing me to this SBS from Wingnut wings:thumb2:: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/hintsandtips

Made a start at the office last week, primed in VJ Dark Yellow primer:
20180806_113414_resized.jpg
Although a bit dark it is nice to experiment on a wood finish on the inside before going to the more visible outer area.:tongue-out3:
Made a simple lap seat belt, detail painting completed with Revell enamels and AK 121 and 123 for the interior finish:
20180811_105823_resized.jpg
When all is dry it's time to close her up and figure out the best way to paint and decal her.:thinking:

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando I have no doubt this will be a stunner when done. You and Dave Ward do pick some hard look camo decals !
Looks like you have made a nice start, that engine detail on the cylinders looks cool, and the wood looks good mate:thumb2:
John .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good lord the man has been in the sun too long, he's doing both. Anyway, build 1 is looking great. The wood grain is spot on.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you in the WWI GB Fernando. Two wonderful planes to get your teeth into. Good luck

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Fernando, glad I could help....looks like a good start and I think you’ve already cracked the wood graining ...
Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
Eduard kits are pretty well thought of and you're off to a good start. Cockpit looking great. As for those decals - good luck.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Looks like a nice couple of builds. Look forward to seeing these two in your capable hands:thumb2:
Si

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice start Fernando, look forward to seeing more

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fernando,
nice start! The decals are pretty tough - despite me pulling and pushing, I haven't ripped any ( yet! ).
I'm interested in the Roden D.VII - I made a few of their 1/72 WWI planes, when my eyes were more acute, I seem to remember the plastic was rather brittle, and there were some tiny parts! The last one I made was the Fokker D.VI, and it was after this kit that finally I decided that 1/72 was now too small for me!
Dave

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

John, thanks and sometimes a new challenge will reinvigorate the mojo to new heights or drive one nuts....:upside:
Colin, thank you and yes may have been a bit in the sun too long the past weeks...:tongue-out3:
Steve, I couldn't let the air stay so empty on this GB, thanks mate:thumb2:
Tim, thanks hope with some minor alterations I'll have the same success on the outside.:thumb2:
Jim, thank you and yes that's what I think of their kits too.:smiling:
Si, thanks and hope to do your words justice.:thumb2:
Joe, thanks a bit more coming right up...
Dave, thank you, yes the D.VII is the standard Roden plastic and the lozenge decals are just big strips you need to cut into shape.:surprised:
Best part it has 5 schemes to choose from, more on those later in the GB...
Ian, thanks:thumb2:.

Managed to complete the fuselage assembly yesterday evening and after a bit of putty here and there she was ready for some paint:
20180811_203311_resized.jpg
Gave the fuselage and the upper wing and struts a coat of Vallejo White primer, the tail received VJ 71.001 White and the underside of the engine VJ 71.062 Aluminium:
20180812_174932_resized.jpg
After that my modeling Sunday was cut short since I booked a flight on this lady from Lelystad airport over the lakes of Friesland and back:smiling::cool::
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0173.JPG
I'll start a tread with more photo's later in the week...
Back from a great flight I masked of the previously painted bits and gave all a good coat of Gunze H66 Sandy Brown in preparation for the woodwork.
The wings and struts may not need it in the end but I saw a similar colour on the ends of the decals so it may be good to cover the gaps where decals don't meet up:
20180812_214028_resized.jpg
Thanks for looking in and have a great week everyone.
Fernando

B

Brad9826

Fernando great stuff, I'll have an air force, to go with my land army, all I need now is for Ron to launch the Navy. Keep it coming pls

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a nice shade for the wood effect. I often spend too long deciding, but that looks good.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
Bet that flight was fun. Neat paint job and the colour looks spot on.
Jim

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Thanks for the kind posts guys, appreciated.:thumb2:
Jim, absolutly if you ever get a chance to book a flight on a Dakota or any other radial engined plane go for it. The sound of the props alone is superb.:smiling:

Work sapped the energy during the week and yesterday I was working too to earn some extra cash for the next day out, so the promised photo's of the Dakota will appear later.
Made a good start at the decals though after the fuselage woodwork, only used AK 123 with a sponge and big flat brush afterwards to minimize the wood grain:
20180819_164848_resized.jpg
Due to the gloss finish little can be seen on the pic for now but its there.:tongue-out3:
More lozenge decals:
20180819_164830_resized.jpg
I'm using Micro Set and Sol on mine and they snuggle in neatly even with all the rib detail on the wings.:smiling4:
Still a couple to go and then its on to the rib decals and the markings...

Hope to have more done later in the week as I have Wednesday till Friday off for some concert and modeling time.:smiling:
Thanks for looking in and have a great week everyone.
Fernando

D

Deleted member 5819

Nice work on the decal they look great, looks like you had fun on the DC3 very jealous :thumb2:
Pete.

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Pete, thanks the decals are a pain in those numbers but with some good Irish punk-rock to listen to one forgets how much there are.:tongue-out3:

After a couple of evenings of decal work they're all on now:
20180824_084447_resized.jpg
Even though the Micro Set and Sol let the decals conform nicely to the wings, I still had a couple of wrinkles but its the first lozenge next time better.:smiling:
Had a good shot at the rigging too today, just needs a touch of paint to finish that step.
Used Ushi van de rosten fine wire and Albion alloys 1/48 turnbuckles for the rigging:
20180824_174241_resized.jpg
20180824_174655_resized.jpg
Just a prop, wheels and a touch of weathering to add and she's finished.
Thanks for looking in and have a great weekend everyone.