Roden 1/48 Junkers D.I - WWI corrugated fighter

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wings & tail assembled & dry fitted...............
DSCF1480.JPG
Like that wingform.
I may have to stay away from the bench for a day or so, my OA is giving me grief, and I'll rest it, rather than making it feel worse.................
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Interesting wing shape Dave. That 'plane has very large control surfaces.
Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm liking the look of this one a lot Dave. Nice work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Back to the bench - got quite a bit done last night - luckily the wings & tail can be left off the fuselage.
The fuselage had one or two bits added -tailskid, crash pylon etc then given an overall brown finish
DSCF1482.JPG
The wing had light blue applied to the underside, then light green to the upper surface. The next task will be to paint the purple patches on the green - by it's nature this has to be hand painted - I can't see any masking being better than the brush. The fuselage still has the engine to be fitted & other parts like machine guns & exhaust, but overall it has gone together pretty well. I just hope that the decals respond well to setting solution!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on very nicely Dave.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good luck with the decals! Looks great so far though, and you could even work in some chipping if you were so inclined. Not often you can do that on a WW1 aicraft!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
An unexpected problem! I used AK3 Light Green as the base for the wings & tail, and I'm going to use AK WWI German Lilac over this - When I start to brush paint the Lilac - I get 'creep' along the corrugations!
DSCF1484.JPG
The Lilac is a bit too thin - it's neat out of the bottle - usually I'd expect to have to thin the paint, but I really need to thicken it. I think part of the problem is that the AK3 Green is too smooth - it allows the brush paint to flow too easily. After a bit of deliberation, I decided to give an overall coat of Matt varnish, to try & stop that creep - otherwise, I'll be in the round of touching up green, then lilac, then...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After giving wings & tail a coat of AK Ultra Matt Varnish - I sat down, with a new brush & painted the purple patches!
DSCF1486.JPG
The light was beginning to go - I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see where I need to touch up - quite a few, I think. Even though I have a daylight bulb in my work light, I still miss bits that are glaringly obvious when the sun comes up.............
Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great job Dave coming along nicely, I always enjoy your builds from the more obscure manufacturers you know roughly whats in the box and what to expect with it rarely ever moan just crack on and tell it like it is ,almost there looking forward to the next instalment. Dave

First Name
Carl
An unexpected problem! I used AK3 Light Green as the base for the wings & tail, and I'm going to use AK WWI German Lilac over this - When I start to brush paint the Lilac - I get 'creep' along the corrugations!
View attachment 416739
The Lilac is a bit too thin - it's neat out of the bottle - usually I'd expect to have to thin the paint, but I really need to thicken it. I think part of the problem is that the AK3 Green is too smooth - it allows the brush paint to flow too easily. After a bit of deliberation, I decided to give an overall coat of Matt varnish, to try & stop that creep - otherwise, I'll be in the round of touching up green, then lilac, then...............
Dave
I thought I was going to have the same problem when I painted my ju-88 but spraying in light coats with light pressure seem to work superb. Obviously a bit different with bristles. I presume you almost need the paint thicker so it doesn’t run?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great job Dave coming along nicely, I always enjoy your builds from the more obscure manufacturers you know roughly whats in the box and what to expect with it rarely ever moan just crack on and tell it like it is ,almost there looking forward to the next instalment. Dave
David,
thanks for that - before I retired, I'd developed an odd reputation with my German co-workers, and I found that they nicknamed me 'pragmatisch Herr Ward' - not sure if that was meant as a compliment, but everyone knew the nickname, - it was explained that I got on with my work, and rarely argued after a decision had been made ( however wrong it was ), which was not the norm. I must have been a curiosity!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No more parts to add - I need to touch up in a few pl;aces, then give it an overall gloss coat to allow the decals to be applied..........
DSCF1487.JPGDSCF1488.JPG
The next pictures will appear in the 'completed' section....................................
Dave

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Dave,
That is looking really good, will zoom over and look at the completed item in a couple of days.
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That is looking very good. I think she looks rather like a big moth from above.
Jim