'Roger, Roger!'........B1 Battledroid

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
need a project i can keep returning to inbetween other things, and my IPMS branch is having a year long GB with 'movies' as its theme

not making any promises that this will get finished cos its a notorious git of a kit, so if it turns out to have too many problems it will go back in the box

every write up ive come across they have had problems getting the droid to attach to the STAP simply cos it is so articulated, so i have a plan to get round that problem......maybe......hopefully

had it in the stash for over 10 years, always been too hesitant to start it cos of its reputation but now its time has come

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/B1_battle_droid

2qvv1gk.jpg

and the box of bits........

4vmlvr.jpg

First Name
colin
Good luck paul I built this kit many moons ago and it was a proper stinker.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Paul I built this back in 2016 and the problems only begin when attaching the droid to the stap. Eventually after much resistance I decided to brake the droids arms in three places shoulder elbows and wrists I then drilled and pinned without glue so I could manipulate it into position. When I was happy I super glued the hands to the bars and pinned and glued the feet to the foot pedals. The little sucker ain't ever coming off.Crazy thing is I've acquired another one since as it was going cheap. Hope this helps you a little. Good luck with it and I look forward to your progress. Cheers John

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
and the story so far.........

he is apparently 1/6 scale.......to give you an idea thats a tamiya paint jar

r93nra.jpg

its going to need quite a bit of cleaning up before paint

im planning on leaving Roger and concentrating on the STAP next......i have a bit of a plan....this kit is well known for being a bugger to get the droid to attach to the STAP so i have a sort of half baked plan to do it with him sort of casually leaning up against the STAP....all depends on just how articulated he is, but i need to think about something for the base

however its back in the box for a while i have another project i need to start and i need the room to do that

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Paul,
Looks pretty cool. I’m a lover of all things Starwars I’ll have to keep an eye out for when you get it back out the box.
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Something very different and sounds as if it has its problems. You plan sounds like a good one. Gonna be a big model.
Jim

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Another classic Star Wars build, :thumb2:

I built the same model years ago for my eldest son, alas the STAP hasn't survived the test of time, but i've got the Battledroid in my 'modelling/hobby' room upstairs, who know's, this build may inspire me to do a re-paint on him..

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
done a bit more work on the STAP

whole thing is going to be a rusty brown colour but i want to make it look a bit worn, so going to spray it an aluminium colour, use latex as a mask for chips and scuffs then do the rusty colour

55oz06.jpg

20zs6qo.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great build Paul! This will come to life with the wet stuff:thumb2:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im having to concentrate on the STAP.....need that built so i can then see how i can pose Roger

i want it a bit battered so i use the latex and sponge method to get a flaky paint look

next step is a clear coat so i can give it a black wash

2eaqj6e.jpg

adgi12.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
having some problems taking pics cos its so tall!
thats a Tamiya paint pot to give it some scale

just needs a few touch ups and another coat of matt varnish
but now i can start to work out what im going to do with Roger.....im going scrap my original plan cos hes not articulated enough. Plan B is going to require a bit of amputation
ab (7).JPGab (5).JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
finally got Rogers legs glued on how i want them......whole thing got a coat of primer.......work out the shade of beige i need next

11hyko0.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hey Paul. Good job so far but don't rely on that base to hold the STAP with the figure on! I did and mine toppled over nearly five feet to the floor - then into the waste bin!

It would probably be OK if you fixed some weight underneath - perhaps some lead sheet if you have any.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
already sorted Dave......i have no intention of doing this kitas the maker intended

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
time to crack on with this one.......needs to be finished as it might be going to Telford!!

had the paint stripped off twice so third time lucky.......im trying some Humbrol acrylic

not planning on weathering Roger, just a wash in the panel lines, so hopefully it wont take too long

6p5ndc.jpg

ive also made a base, since i want Roger standing next to the STAP rather than riding it

50p MDF base picked up at a show, painted black, i then scanned and printed onto photograph quality paper a ready made base i had from Coastal Kits......its supposed to be race track starting grid but i just angled it to make it a bit random.......stuck it to the base

j8efbk.jpg

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looking good ;)
Nice base, good plan to mount Roger next to the stap. Cheers