Rolls Royce rear number plates question

S

Stevekir

My 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom II 1934 car is nearing completion (I have been on holiday and other distractions have prevented much work this summer). But, here is a scan of the box art showing two rear number plates. The one on the left is larger and two decals are supplied for it: "Texas ROYCE" and "Kansas ROLLS Antique". Neither is suitable for a British right-hand drive car.

Why is the left-hand one larger? What would have gone there in a British car?

"CC 20" or "AD 171" is supplied for the right-hand plate which is acceptable. At a pinch I could put either of these on the left plate, but the mystery of why the left plate is larger remains. I have searched the Internet.

Thanks.

First Name
Adrian
I've just done a quick search and the pictures I've seen of actual cars show a number plate in the centre of that chrome bar, its around the size of the left hand one in your picture, not sure if that helps or if your even able to place the plates any where else.

Adrian

R

roymattblack

I think the smaller, left plate is purely a decorative American item which wouldn't be used in the UK - or anywhere else.

The only thing remotely similar in the UK was the old 'GB' type plate some Rollers used.

Below is the tail end of my Pocher Phantom Torpedo...

Roy.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My thoughts on the position of the UK plate is that it should either be in the centre or to the offside.

R

roymattblack

On the Maharajah Rolls Royce, the GB plate was on the nearside. The plate is still there even today.

Maybe they varied from car to car?

Roy.

First Name
Gregg
There is/was a standard size in the UK for both oblong and square plates.

After a certain year (not sure which) it would also require a form of illumination to the rear plate

I was fined back in the 70's for no number plate light fitted, so had to modify my Pop boot lid.

Gregg