Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well done Ron. That was a good call-
If you could be so kind and introduce the build; participants, rules (lol) and what ever you fell the need for.
(The original suggestion thread is now parked and locked. :smiling3: )

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
For the sake of clarity, can all participants in the 2018 Members A.A. G.B., please chat on here rather than the actual G.B. build threads?

Cheers all,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First off, thanks to the 11 who are on this ride into the unknown.
They are:-
tommy1drop
col68
spanner570
beowulf
Ian M
Mr. Bowcat
Tony
papa 695
trickey66
Gern
Jens

If anyone else would like to join in later, please feel free to do so, and I'll add your name to the original list.

The time scale.
As I don't want to introduce any sort of 'pressure', I have made the build an all year affair. So start whenever it suits your build program, but finish the model on or before 31st December 2018.

Rules.
The subject must have initially, been designed, produced and used for, the destruction of flying aircraft. However, for the sake of peace and harmony, and as long as the subject was originally designed for A.A. use, the barrel(s) can be pointed in any direction / elevation. If you want to model the thing shooting at tin cans on a wall, that's fine!

Open up your build at anytime. Please include box art and sprue shots, but NO building until 1/1/2018.
Any scale or era.
Any material. Scratch built is fine too.(no diecast!)
Your choice of display.
Build as many variants as you want within the time scale.

Finally, please keep all the general chat for this G.B. in the chat section. This will leave everything nice and clear in the individual build threads. Thanks.

If I can think of anything else I should have added, then I will.

O.k., let's have some fun and let the good times roll.......

Cheers,
Ron

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
qoute from the locked thread:-

What I don't want is knocked together stuff on the back of a pickup, supported by a pallet, sort of thing. The subject must be 'Built for purpose'.

now i can understand that so you dont get Libyan style home brewed 'technicals' but what if it was designed that way in the first place, and im thinking of several things Soviet

T

Tony

Looking forward to the new year but in the mean-time i can set about planning around a few ideas i have.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul. If the piece in mind is the result of a proper drawing board design, and a prototype was built, then mass produced at a factory ( no limit on the number made), built to destroy airborne aircraft to start with, but then modified for other purposes later, then both are fine.

Please, just build what you want, when you want.

Also, please ignore the guidelines below, as all I want is an easy life.;)

Not accepted - A one off truck, V.W Camper Van etc. with a weapon attached, (no matter how substantial and well thought out) nor made up from scrap metal, reconstituted materials, plastic squeegy bottles. Making use of a disabled or damaged, but still serviceable vehicle /motor bike/tank/boat hull. Resting the weapon on someone's shoulder, or a convenient prop. Using a horse or any other animal (Dead or alive) The RSPCA will be informed!

Cheers,
Ron

J

Jens Andrée

First off, thanks to the 10 who are on this ride into the unknown.
They are:-
tommy1drop
col68
spanner570
beowulf
Ian M
Mr. Bowcat
Tony
papa 695
trickey66
Gern

If anyone else would like to join in later, please feel free to do so, and I'll add your name to the original list.

The time scale.
As I don't want to introduce any sort of 'pressure', I have made the build an all year affair. So start whenever it suits your build program, but finish the model on or before 31st December 2018.

Rules.
The subject must be specifically designed, produced and used for, the destruction of flying aircraft. No exceptions.
It's fine to open up your build at anytime. Please include box art and sprue shots, but NO building until 1/1/2018.
Any scale or era.
Any material. Scratch built is fine too.(no diecast!)
Your choice of display.
Build as many variants as you want within the time scale.

Finally, please keep all the general chat for this G.B. in the chat section. This will leave everything nice and clear in the individual build threads. Thanks.

If I can think of anything else I should have added, then I will.

O.k., let's have some fun and let the good times roll.......

Cheers,
Ron
I think you missed me on that list being number 8, or 9?, to enlist...

Not that it matters but for clarification ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I think you missed me on that list being number 8, or 9?, to enlist...

Not that it matters but for clarification ;)

No offence Jens, but you never confirmed you were joining in this build - "I'll join the flak team unless......"

I'll add you to the list, and welcome aboard.:smiling3:

Ron

J

Jens Andrée

No offence Jens, but you never confirmed you were joining in this build - "I'll join the flak team unless......"

I'll add you to the list, and welcome aboard.:smiling3:

Ron
Ah, my bad. With a 12 month build time I figured there was no collision possible so I didn't confirm.
Confirmed now anyway ;)

Thanks!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ah, my bad. With a 12 month build time I figured there was no collision possible so I didn't confirm.
Confirmed now anyway ;)

Thanks!

Jens, bad? Nah!

Perhaps it was me trying to emulate a rather overly enthusiastic Traffic Warden!;)

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I really just want to just stick bits of plastic together for this G.B., so after trying to answer questions, (and seeing other posts about this G.B.) as to what is and what's not allowed, here is my greatly modified and truly final attempt at a definition.

'This G.B. is to build a ground based, or on a platform or vehicle, an Anti-Aircraft weapon or system. Any scale or era. As long as your chosen model started life off as an A.A. weapon or system, then it's acceptable. If you choose to model it being used for other purposes other than that which it was originally intended, that's fine too. The angle of the barrel is optional.' (as is everything else)

Even having the thing shooting cans off the top of a wall is just fine and dandy.......:smiling3:
In other words, build what you want within the above parameters.

I hope this clarifies things - If not, I give up.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So can I have...
Only kidding Ron. I'm looking forward to starting this GB in January, got the kit ready and its build for purpose.

J

Jens Andrée

Sweet!!!
I'm torn between three different kits so I'm not going to decide just yet. Also this gives me the possibility to change kit if someone else is doing the same?

All three of them are pure breed AA guns, albeit with German names! ;) (no surprise there... hehe)

I also commit to present said AA gun in a small diorama/base to give it some perspective and life. For me this is all about making an effort in doing something extra, and not just one of the daily kits I tinker with in front of the TV every evening. Since this is my first GB ever I look forward to seeing your contraptions, the discussions and the fun it's going to be! :smiling3:
The only hard part now is to refrain from starting the build before 1:st of Jan... :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the delay in firing the starting gun on this G.B., but life got in the way.

All chat on this thread please.

I've tried my best to clarify things, but as a gentle reminder, the subject must be - a pure breed, ground based, A.A. system or weapon (see above answers) So hopefully I can now be left alone to quietly enjoy building my contribution.......:smiling4::thumb2:

....so let's go - Well, all 12 months, anyway!

Cheers all,
Ron

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i shall be joining in at some point during the year, doubt it will be this side of easter though, just too much on already

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm fighting a 1/35 schnellboot right now, but think I'll jump on this build next....