Rust question

N

nyc7181

Can anyone tell me the best paint for doing rust effects? Iv been looking at the mig products. But I’m not sure if I should use those or just some paints

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Erik,
Rust effects can be done with Enamel, acrylic or oil paints....all of which can produce very good effect if done well.
I would suggest having a look round on YouTube at all the rust effect videos...see what suits your style.
Si

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Any paint you like, as long as it’s got a plausible rust colour — which means anything from dark brown to bright orange, really. My experience is that just a couple of colours can be enough for a convincing effect.

IMG_0270.jpg

For example, this is a 1/76th scale building (by Airfix), with a very rusted sign reading “DEPOT”. I made that by first painting it blue all over and applying dry transfer letters; because I didn’t have a P nor an O on the sheet anymore (the O is a C I put upside-down, as I recall), I decided on adding a lot of rust. It’s a base coat of dark brown in all the badly rusted areas, followed by stippling with red-brown, earth brown, and orange using a small brush, and with all the colours except the brown thinned to carrying degrees on the fly. (Just put a little bit of paint on a palette, pick up some water with your brush and mix it into the paint; add more paint or more water to vary the thickness.) This isn’t very hard to do and quite quick, but I think the effect is rather convincing.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Erik, keep in mind a U.Boat isn't stationary and doesn't go rusty as such. Unless it's a wreck or scrapped - Or even worse, Si's got his awful mitts on it!.....:worried:

At best you just need to add red/brown light stains to the scuppers, the hull drain offs and where you think these stains would form. (on steel lips and edges for instance)

The boats were as well looked after as they could be considering their circumstances and rust wouldn't have time to get a proper grip.

On my boats I just use a simple wash of any red/brown acrylic applied where required, then lay it off vertically to create 'runs'

Please don't paint proper rust on your model, just more of a rust 'stain' effect.

Please post some progress photos in 'Ships and Boats' - Submarines Under Construction.

Good luck with the build.

Ron

N

nyc7181

Erik, keep in mind a U.Boat isn't stationary and doesn't go rusty as such. Unless it's a wreck or scrapped - Or even worse, Si's got his awful mitts on it!.....:worried:

At best you just need to add red/brown light stains to the scuppers, the hull drain offs and where you think these stains would form. (on steel lips and edges for instance)

The boats were as well looked after as they could be considering their circumstances and rust wouldn't have time to get a proper grip.

On my boats I just use a simple wash of any red/brown acrylic applied where required, then lay it off vertically to create 'runs'

Please don't paint proper rust on your model, just more of a rust 'stain' effect.

Please post some progress photos in 'Ships and Boats' - Submarines Under Construction.

Good luck with the build.

Ron[/QUOTEIm doing the U-505 and from the photos the conning tower looked pretty be a up. Im looking at doing rust streaks not like hard core rust spots. should I clear coat it before i do the streaking?