Sadistic Christmas gift

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So someone bought me this for Christmas (SWMBO). This is an almost impossible kit to assemble, as anyone who has ever had one of these Metal Earth kits will know. It is all made out of steel photo etch that is prepainted.
It is a sadistic gift for someone like me, who is not a great model builder but is pig headed enough to say to yourself, This is only a little model and I can certainly put it together. It will not defeat me. Well it came within a whisker of the garbage bin at least 4 times but like I said, I was thinking to myself Nothing that SWMBO has bought me is going to beat me.

It comes in an envelope:

P38 box.jpg

And contains 2 sheets of prepainted PE.

P38 sprue.jpg

The whole thing is not supposed to need glue but is held together by little metal tabs that have to be folded over through tiny little slots. The first problem being that thin steel sheet generally refuses to be easily bent especially when you are trying to insert three pairs of tweezers through a 1mm space to reach the tab on the inside of the airframe. Yes my version did end up getting glue smeared all over it in a number of places.

If you are stubborn like me then you may end up with something like this in the end.

P38.jpg

It is about 1/80th scale. It will now remain in in my collection just long enough for me to show SWMBO that she cannot defeat me with these crappy little model kits.

John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL LOOKS good to me john dont you get on to well with your SWMBO ?
CHRISB

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Chris. We get on very well but we also like to prank each other.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You've done a great job there John. Well done for sticking with it. Certainly a more rewarding present from your better half than a pair of socks.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
A nice result despite the issues with the 'tabs' you mentioned, I've got the metal earth Star Wars Millenium falcon in the stash, haven't dared to open it and start 'bending'....lol

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Job done John, you sure showed that model who the boss is

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yo!! Boss Man...good job and well done. How much band aids and glue dissolvent got you this far? No doubt add some new vocabulary to your dictionary.
Seen a few of these and stayed away.
Put some spotlights on it and prop it on the highest mantle it deserves.:thumb2:

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Wabble

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I like it!....and it's almost the perfect scale! If it hadn't been pre-painted I would have suggested annealing the tabs prior to assembly. All said and done, it turned out rather nice. :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well impossible it was not. Never seen them befor. I will keep an eye out so I dont buy one by accident. lol

It looks to me like you won John.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Note to missus 'Don't ever buy me one of those!' Never seen them either but you've made a really nice job of it mate!
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris. We get on very well but we also like to prank each other.

John
HI John well if you both like to prank each other what do you buy your missus then ? as if i did that i think jen would hit me with it an tell me off for wastein money as at the moment it in short supply lol as she is a little spitfire at times an got to whatch my step lol
chrisb

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys. At least I have proven that I have the skills of a 14 year old, according to the package, Nice to know since I am 71.

John

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It certainly looks well enough at first sight, but I agree about the infuriating nature of these “kits”. I built two copies of their Sherman some years ago (not for myself, I might add) and was glad I got it over with. Not recommended at all, as far as I’m concerned.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks all. SWMBO is clueless to the point of being terrified of everything to do with computers. She has an old laptop from about 10 years ago on which she struggles to do her girlie things. So I bought her a new laptop knowing that she would have to start it up, re-sign in to her girlie aps and transfer her contacts etc from the old one. It took her 2 weeks to pluck up enough courage to start and I installed Macafee for her to get her started. But like me she is stubborn enough to make it work so she finally got most things working on the new one.

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done John, many esp me would have had nightmares working with that steel etch.