Scale tree, very very cheap and easy.

C

CDW

Just another quickie from me helping to save cash and have a bit more fun with creating something with your own personal touch.

I'm all out of cash at the mo due to 6 kids needing their Xmas money and the 'dog' needing surgery (not effin' cheap) so can't warrant buying any kits at the mo and am spending my time adding to the MASH dio.

Anyhow for this topic you'll need

A trip to a tree

an old kitchen sponge

some cheap glue

some spare brown and green paint

a length of garden twine

some wire and a pin.

Total cost ...... pennies!

Get twig from tree and cut to shape and size, stick a headless pin in the bottom (this will help the tree to stay upright on the diorama whilst the glues drying, or if you use balsa bases like me then you can stick it anywhere and move around as needed till it looks right)

View attachment 74882

View attachment 74886

I try to have a few in stock:smiling3:

View attachment 74884

View attachment 74885

Get some short lengths of twine and twist some wire round the middle, splay out the ends of the twine to form twigs, spray (or brush) adhesive on the twine and add the scatter by sprinkling it over the tacky surface.

the scatter is made by ripping up just the sponge from an old kitchen scourer, popping it into a suitable container with some water and using a blender or similar to chop it up into little bits, you can add paint to the water to colour it then or you can paint/spray it later when dried as i have done here

View attachment 74887

A second way is to just splay out one end of the twine and glue/sprinkle/paint as above.

View attachment 74888

View attachment 74889

Heres a few before and after being painted, i used a red oxide as a base (not spraying too fully) and then a light green over the top to give the impression of autumn colouration

View attachment 74878

View attachment 74879

A close up of the blended sponge effect and paint

View attachment 74883

To attach them to the twig i drill holes for the wire to fit into and glue into place.

for the twine version i split the wood and then place the twine 'stem' (after being cut to size) into the split and glue it together.

View attachment 74890

View attachment 74891

The finished job

View attachment 74892

Hope this is of use and help to some of you :smiling3:

View attachment 74880

View attachment 74881

View attachment 74893

SAM_0901.JPG

SAM_0903.JPG

SAM_0904.JPG

SAM_0908.JPG

SAM_0912.JPG

SAM_0913.JPG

SAM_0915.JPG

SAM_0916.JPG

SAM_0917.JPG

SAM_0918.JPG

SAM_0919.JPG

SAM_0923.JPG

SAM_0927.JPG

SAM_0930.JPG

SAM_0933.JPG

SAM_0937.JPG

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Top tips again Colin, I used a bathroom sponge for a coral effect, very effective and as you say pennies instead of pounds.

Si:smiling3:

Reactions: CDW

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great tips Colin , thank you ,always interested in making tress will need some for my 1.35

with the 2 German Cossack,s was thinking a mix off shrubs and pine tree,s any tips on making pines please ?

cheers

Moni

C

CDW

\ said:
tips on making pines please ?
I would imagine you could use the technique I used in my diorama tutorial using twisted wire and use stiffer bristles, then trim them to a pine shape before adding the scatter leaf effect.... I could have a go tomorrow and see if it works.. .. You could improve the idea to suit what you're looking for.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi as Steve said the colors do bring it all together , that would be good if you could have a bit off a play around

as maybe just using 2x wire with green shredded twin in greens with a touch off lite brown ? and just twist them together ?

and have from big to small up the high off the tree truck

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good tip there Colin.

As for fir trees I fine the dead flower hears from a butterfly bush, (budlia something or other) Are rather good.

They have to be clipped off any way so I keep a few and hang them up-side-down to dry. You can normally find them in lots of different sizes too. The smallest I have seen was around four cm and the largest about 35cm. So lots of scale options.

When dry I roll them first in some white glue, then in some 'grass' fibres. Job done.

Another good source for "trees" are box wood hedges...Buxbom...Fine and loads of branches with a good bark texture.

Ian M

C

CDW

Some good 'natural' alternatives there Ian, thanks for the input mate:smiling3:

\ said:
that would be good if you could have a bit off a play around
Well ive had a play and i came up with this for a simple cheap pine tree .........

Made a long "twist" with some paintbrush bristles, then cut to size ..shaping them to the general shape of a pine

View attachment 74935

View attachment 74936

covered then in a dark green scatter to give the impression of depth, then a light and mid green mixture to highlight the ends of the branches.

View attachment 74937

used a dried stem off some sort of single stem thistle thing, anything with a hole through it would do, and threaded the wire through for strength

View attachment 74938

End result

View attachment 74939

View attachment 74940

SAM_0946.JPG

SAM_0949.JPG

SAM_0955.JPG

SAM_0958.JPG

SAM_0969.JPG

SAM_0970.JPG

O

omi1966

Great tip

what's the wife say about using her blender for the sponge?

Martin

C

CDW

\ said:
Great tipwhat's the wife say about using her blender for the sponge?

Martin
No worries about that Martin, she's not allowed in MY kitchen, I do all the cooking:smiling3: :smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Colin,

they came up very nicely, as Polux said you nailed,it

and thank you for showing how to make them, guess i will be taking a trip to the $2.00 shop

and pickup some things and give it a try,

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice method,I have used the twig method once or twice, but you have really refined the method here.

John