**SCRAPPED**Hobbyboss 1/48 Ta 152C-1+Eduard PE

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The Ta 152 was the best piston engined fighter of WW2, but sadly did not see mainstream prodution. Designed by Kurt Tank of Focke Wulf, this was a thoroughbred of the Fw 190D-9 fighter

The C-1 version was the most heavily armed variant.

I am now building this aircraft, this is by Hobbyboss and in 1/48. Fit is generally good and the cockpit is shaping up rather nicely. However, they should had provided more sidewall detail, but the eduard PE supplied some. The Main control stick is yet to go on.

Criticism is welcome

I didn't superdetail it as the cockpit is very enclosed.

The same is for the half engine plug

Cheers, John

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

After some work, this has come along rather nicely. The fit is excellent

Some wiring was added to the engine, but was kept to be minimal, as the engine's view would be extremely minimal.

The cockpit was finished off, and extra detail was extensively added, but unfortunately, only a quarter of it was seen,

NOTE The assembled images are of a dry fit

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

That looks very nice to me John. You're right about the cockpit, it's very hard to see into once its built.

Yes, quite disappointing when you build it up and little of it is seen

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

At least you know the detail is there John.

yes, but some of the engine plug and wiring will be visible through the wheel wells which will be interesting to see

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

This was actually the original aircraft, the Ta 152V6. It never got past prototype stage It was named VH+EY, a classic prototype name for experimental aircraft

I will be posing it exactly like this, with the cooling gills open and the canopy open as well.

aaf1f46cc3ccdaf659cd258ca427332d.jpg

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Looks like you have done your homework on this one,off to a good start it's looking great 

Thanks mate

Did some progress on here. The undercarriage wiring and oleo sissors are notoriously difficult to fit, due to the fiddly wiring and the two part nature of the oleo sissors.

Extra yellow wiring was added into the Undercarriage bay and the fuselage was mated together, and the same was done for the wings. it was then sanded down and the panel lines were rescribed using an RB productions scribe R. Washes were liberally applied to the inside of the undercarriage.

ALL ASSEMBLED PICS ARE OF A DRY FIT

Cheers, John

IMG_1560.jpg

The undetailed undercarriage

IMG_1562.jpg 

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The fuselage, upper cannonbay, nose and wings were mated together to the main fuselage today. The fit was good, but not perfect, and marginally needed some filler along the wing roots. However, the cannonbay's fit overall was pretty good. 

This was followed by a priming coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 followed by pre shading in Gunze Mr Hobby Tyre Black. The pre shading was deliberately wavy, as a judge at a model show once told me that once the paint went on, it would break up the surface and make it look more natural. I don't how true this is, but I am about to find out. 

I purchased some hollow aluminium tube and replaced all of the guns with it and in my opinion, were a definite improvement over the stick like kit ones.

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice. But just look at how far back the pilot sits. This must have been a bit of a nightmare to taxi.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This was actually the original aircraft, the Ta 152V6. It never got past prototype stage It was named VH+EY, a classic prototype name for experimental aircraft

Hi John

There were four known prototypes of the Ta 152 C-1 series.

V 21/U2 werknummer not sure would have to dig it out :smiling3: , stammkennzeichen TI+IH, Rebuilt as an engine test bed,first flight 3/11/44.

V 6 werknummer 110006, stammkennzeichen VH+EY, first flight 12/12/44. 

V 7 werknummer 110007, stammkennzeichen CI+XM, first flight 8/1/45.

V 8 werknummer 110008, stammkenzeichen GW+QA, first flight 15/1/45.

These are the only four of the planned 17 prototypes built.

The entire aircraft industry in Germany was a complete shambles by this time and it is often difficult to be sure of what got built or what happened to it, but there is reasonable documentary evidence for these four.

Cheers

Steve

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

All looking very nice. But just look at how far back the pilot sits. This must have been a bit of a nightmare to taxi.

Cheers mate, it probably was problematic to taxi, but it certainly performed brilliantly in the air....

Hi John

There were four known prototypes of the Ta 152 C-1 series.

V 21/U2 werknummer not sure would have to dig it out :smiling3: , stammkennzeichen TI+IH, Rebuilt as an engine test bed,first flight 3/11/44.

V 6 werknummer 110006, stammkennzeichen VH+EY, first flight 12/12/44. 

V 7 werknummer 110007, stammkennzeichen CI+XM, first flight 8/1/45.

V 8 werknummer 110008, stammkenzeichen GW+QA, first flight 15/1/45.

These are the only four of the planned 17 prototypes built.

The entire aircraft industry in Germany was a complete shambles by this time and it is often difficult to be sure of what got built or what happened to it, but there is reasonable documentary evidence for these four.

Cheers

Steve

Interesting how hobbyboss only provided one scheme. Bit of a pity how they didn't provide more schemes. BTW, where are those sourced from? Been trying to build up my reference library again.

Cheers, John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

new update, the main camo has been completed and the framing on the canopy has also been completed. All of the main upper stencil data has been applied apart from the hakenkreuz. All paints used was Mr Hobby. Some Mr hobby Buffable Aluminium was used on the underside panels. All of the painting was carried out with my Iwata Hi Line HP CH. A flat coat then sealed the decals on the upper surfaces.

Tomorrow I will be doing weathering with my new Mig Washes and completing the decaling. Hopefully, the undercarriage and bits and bobs sticking out will be attached as well by tomorrow followed by a complete flat coat.

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1599.jpgIMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again

My two principle Ta 152 books are Dietmar Harmann's (Focke-Wulf Ta 162-the story of the Luftwaffe's late war high altitude fighter) and Thomas Hitchcock's (The Focke-Wulf Ta 152). Neither are perfect, but such was the confusion at this late stage of the war some 'facts' are always going to be open to interpretation!

Cheers

Steve