SE5a CONSTRUCTION BEGINNING TO . . .

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
AndyI think that the “personal touch” works a lot better than email, I always take an example of something I’ve made, it usually arouses a bit of interest. I realise that as yet you’ve not used litho plate but perhaps a photo of what you’re trying to achieve could help.

If you only need quite small pieces you can use aluminium beer cans, of course the problem with this is that you have to drink the beer first, but we have to make some sacrifices for our hobby!!
Hi Mate,

i did think of beer cans, we are doing a lot of work at Cores Brewery, i might see if i can get on site and go to the canning plant, see if i can get any off cuts.

Andy

D

Dempsey

Hi Grahame,

First of all congratulations on an amazing model I am truly astonished by the attention to detail and functionality of the working parts. I just wandered how you decided on the aircraft number E.5808 and how much history you have about the original plane. I beleive my Great Uncle William Ewart Clarkson flew it in WW1. I have a photograph of the original plane that may be of interest to you.

Thanks

Graham

View attachment 18990

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Grahame
Hello Graham

Thanks for posting the photo; it really adds some historical interest to the post and shows up a couple of things on the model that are not correct. Your great uncle obviously had the headrest removed; a common practice to improve the pilots view to the rear, also the Foster mount has the taller rear support.

Getting information about any particular aircraft from WW1 is very difficult. The model is really a composite using details from different aircraft, mainly the Shuttleworth Collection (F904) and a French restoration (C1096) plus numerous photos from the Internet.

I decided to finish the model as E5808 simply because I liked the look of the squadron markings etc. and I’m afraid that is the limit of my knowledge of the aircraft.

Grahame

D

Dempsey

Grahame,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. sorry if i've uncovered some 'detail issues' on your model. Your attention to detail is obviously a skill as I hadn't even noticed the head rest which is glaringly obvious now you have pointed it out. Do you have the reference image/s that you used for the markings? Or, do you know where you originally found them?

Regards

Graham

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Grahame,

I couldn't let this one slip by without mentioning it - have a look at this fantastic pic - yours would fit very nicely in there too !!

BBC News | Enlarged Image

Regards.........Mark

First Name
Grahame
A quick post to let you know what’s happening, or to be more accurate, what’s not happening with the SE5a.

This time last year I packed all my modelling paraphernalia into boxes because we thought we’d sold the house only to be let down when the “buyers” pulled out at the last minute. Well, this year the same thing’s happened again but with one notable exception, the buyer hasn’t pulled out and the house is sold! Once again everything is in boxes and now in storage, we are living temporarily with our son (in two rooms) so no space for modelling at all.

Hopefully next year things will have settled down and I’ll be able to continue with test flying the SE5a.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
A quick post to let you know what’s happening, or to be more accurate, what’s not happening with the SE5a.This time last year I packed all my modelling paraphernalia into boxes because we thought we’d sold the house only to be let down when the “buyers” pulled out at the last minute. Well, this year the same thing’s happened again but with one notable exception, the buyer hasn’t pulled out and the house is sold! Once again everything is in boxes and now in storage, we are living temporarily with our son (in two rooms) so no space for modelling at all.

Hopefully next year things will have settled down and I’ll be able to continue with test flying the SE5a.
Good luck with the move, hope you get up and running soon.

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Next time I find a thread this long I will look at the last page first. 69 pages of a very enthralling build that dried up in August last year.

Does any body have any ideas as to the fate of this subject. Did It get to fly? Did Grahame find a new home or is he still living with his son, everything packed away in boxes?

Two hours reading a fascinating build and an ending that just isn't there. A bit like reading a book to find some one has torn out the last chapter!!!!!!

I hope all it well and I also hope for an update.

Sorry to sound so negative but I was/am disappointed.

Ian M

First Name
Grahame
Is no news good news?

Sorry you were disappointed Ian, but I can assure you that you aren’t half as disappointed as I am; at least as far progress with the SE5a is concerned!

He reason I haven’t posted in 2010 is that there is absolutely nothing to report; no modeling at all this year, building or flying.

In answer to your questions: yes, yes, no, yes!

To elaborate; the model has been test flown (see posts 644, 647 & 652). We moved into our new home in April 2010, (“home” might be a euphemism, living in the middle of a 5 acre field with no water, electricity, gas or sewage isn’t that homely). All summer has been spent getting the place habitable for the winter; we finally got the last of the utilities, electricity, in mid November! Still waiting for the telephone line though so Internet access is somewhat restricted.

All things considered I have to agree with “the boss” that the bathroom was more important than a modeling room, so all modeling gear is still in boxes.

I’m hoping to get the garage / modeling room built in 2011 so if all goes to plan there will be an update in the summer.

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Grahame, how good to hear from you again! This build thread remains one of the most outstanding build threads I have ever read on any forum so all credit to you for that. I can't imagine living without the utilities you list so hats off to you for getting through such a challenge. I'm not sure I would get away with it as my missis gave me a hard time when the central heating packed up in December so i was in the garage surrounded by pieces of boiler for a couple of days!

Hopefully when you eventually get settled in and the house becomes habitable you will get around to sorting out a modelling room and we will get to see something of the SE5a again. It remains a stunning example of the best in scratch buiding and I for one am quite happy to wait as long as it takes to see some more of it!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yea! High Graham, Glad to hear you are still about.

I hope that you get the house sorted and the garage built! Sounds like you are a man that has seroius need to relax for a while.

All the best for 2011.

Ian M

G

George Peter Boultwood

Hi I first read this build some years ago. Is it still ppossible to contact Grahame. If so I have some questions he could help me with. How do I get in contact. Peter Boultwood

First Name
Grahame
\ said:
Hi I first read this build some years ago. Is it still ppossible to contact Grahame. If so I have some questions he could help me with. How do I get in contact. Peter Boultwood
Hello Peter

If I can help I will; I've sent you a private message with my email address.

F

fewrtw

Hi Grahame,

I have been following this build from the start, and I must say you have inspired me to build my next project.

For a long time now I have been looking at building a B.E.2e, both at 1/6 and 1/4 scale.

I have opted for 1/6 as this will be 80 “wing span as 1/4 would 122” span. I have been collecting for some time all the scale drawings I could find, including actual construction drawings.

See attached 2 of the construction drawings. I know 1 is of a B.E.2c but the Fuselage is basically the same.

I would like to try and follow as much as reasonably possible these drawings, as I would like as much interior as possible.

Would you consider this to be too much effort for a model of this size?

View attachment 91832

View attachment 91836

View attachment 204855

View attachment RAF_BE2C_Engine.pdf

First Name
Grahame
It all depends if you’re building the model to fly; if it’s simply for a static display then there’s no limit, apart from modelling expertise, to the amount of detailing. My models are built to fly so that’s really all I can comment on.

Making details such as instruments etc. becomes progressively more difficult as the scale gets smaller and it always has to be a compromise between how much detail to add and the associated weight.

All things being equal bigger models perform better than smaller ones, most of the volume of a model is air so the airframe can be built relatively lighter therefore giving the opportunity to add more weight as details.

The details are quite practical at 18% scale so there shouldn’t be a problem making them at 1/6th (16.6%) scale and at 80” span, as opposed to the 58” span for this Se5a, the model would easily be able to handle the weight of more extensive detailing.

That’s the practical side of things but how much effort you want to put into the project is entirely up to you!

Whatever you decide don't forget to start a build thread!!

A

alf buckledee

\ said:
Looking good so far Grahame and some excellent building tips in there too.Will keep watching this one !!

Regards.......Mark.
Why have your photoes gone that were with your thereads

First Name
Grahame
\ said:
Why have your photoes gone that were with your thereads
I've no idea! The photos have also gone from my Parnell Elf thread.

May be I'm persona non grata!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I've no idea! The photos have also gone from my Parnell Elf thread.May be I'm persona non grata!
Not in the least. Grahame. John it tinkering with the Gallery, which I can see is were you have your photos... I'll give 'im a prod and bribe him with toasted cheese sandwiches.

Watch this space.

Ian M

First Name
Grahame
\ said:
Not in the least. Grahame. John it tinkering with the Gallery, which I can see is were you have your photos... I'll give 'im a prod and bribe him with toasted cheese sandwiches.Watch this space.

Ian M
Great the photos are back.

If Alf takes another look at post 5 complete with photos it'll make more sense and he perhaps he won't "dislike" it now!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have removed the offending dislike as it was given due to a forum hiccup.