Sea Foam

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
They look like they are coming along nicely....seems plenty of sunlight is needed. Hopefully mine will catch up....my second sowing germinated in 2 days and I’ve gone them on the sunniest window sill.

My first lot didn’t seen at all bothered by the transplant...have you noticed that the leaves close up a little at night!

No comparison to yours.....but here how mine look.

9C8AF9C1-3FE2-4975-B411-8189BC7D58CF.jpeg

Si Titchmarsh

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi John

I may not be into dioramas at the moment, focusing on busts, but I will definately follow this - interesting to see how the plants grow.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tales from the Greenhouse.
Goodevening my friends.
Dried slugs eh, Si don't fall for that one, I prefer the pickled snails, much nicer on toast . Paul's loved your post :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Those transplants are looking strong, not noticed any leaves closing at night, but can imagine they might.

I have tried to find the natural habitat of Teloxys Aristata, very little is available, even on Wikipedia under that name. Delving deeper has revield the the plant is native to Ukraine, central Russia, central Asia including the Gobi desert and Siberia. After 1920 Ch. aristatum began to appear in the ruderal habitats, in some larger European towns.
It is a subclass of Chenopodium Aristatum and because the name has been reviewed so many times that this is why so little can be found when using Teloxys to find it habitat.

It's been found that a sandy, compost, which gives good drainage is by far the best . I have used sharp very small horticultural grit, in my mix , about 50 / 50. Damping off is the biggest cause of seed failure, along with top watering.

Hi Peter. ...... Hope your well, and a pleasure to see you. This only started as a small sbs, but has attracted quite a lot of interest. Hope you can gain something from following.:smiling2:.

Ivan Thrower

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi fellow gardeners
The ones left after transplanting are still thriving so may transplant some more.
P1050395.JPG
Transplanted ones
P1050396.JPG
Some of them have tiny leaves growing in the leaf axils - had to look that up.
P1050397.JPG
Jim Thrower

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Jim,
Very impressed with your plants.....they look fab:thumb2:
Seeing yours and Johns....think I have plant envy:thinking::smiling5:
Si Titchmarsh

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Green fingered Jim. .... Great news.
Mr Titchmarsh...............Worry not , now you have placed them in the light they will shoot up .
Remember do NOT FEED these plants.
Ivan Thrower.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tales from the green house.
Ivan Thrower here , and a good morning .
Today I have potted on 8 of the young plants as they are certainly bigger enough and growing the 2 set of leaves.
I have potted 4 into pots that were first given a light watering, the next , the next 2 pots of 2 have had water put in from the bottom only.
Just want to see if this will show any difference.
View attachment 304260
Will check later to see if the two pots on the center and right of the photo has survived.

For those sharp eyed followers ( RON ) those plants in the out side of the green house are not what you might think .:tongue-out3:

G. Capt. Race.
I see you've taken a selfie. (bottom right) Judging by the expression on your mush, you'll never convince me that the plants in the background are 'harmless'

Yours.
Percy Throwup

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OK fair cop Ron,
It was taken with one of those selfie sticks. I had just fallen over at that point, having taken a little too much edification.

1530194820029.png

:upside::upside::upside::upside::upside::upside::tongue-out3::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Up date time my green fingered friends.
This hot and sunny weather is just what we need. I have brought out half of my plants into the garden and left them in the full sun .The others are in the green house, slightly shaded, and growing well .
IMG_3217.jpgA1.jpgIMG_3218.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpg

The pots contain 2 and some 3 plants.
You can clearly see the pink developing on the lower stem. The pink is also on the leaf roughly in the center, this is just the plant maturing and nothing is amiss. It starts on the tip and works back .
Remember NO feeding.
Ivan Thrower.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I bought some sea foam but this looks like more fun. On a more serious note, the red light buildings are for destitute aren't they or did I read it wrong :smiling::smiling:, keep up the good work.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Not a patch on yours John but my first attempt has really picked up now and have sprung into life...

Attachments

• 825844DA-2A46-49C3-A181-6B0E295ED72C.jpeg
    825844DA-2A46-49C3-A181-6B0E295ED72C.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 5

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mick .......:smiling2: probably both ! It is fun, I just fancied growing some again.
Jim........... Well you did start well after me, you have some strong looking plants there. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Ivan

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John, Si, Jim,

Coming along really well
Cant wait for the nitro glycerin stage! Should get interesting.:fearful::fearful:

Paul.
:smiling2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got nothing against your horticultural efforts guys, but why?

I didn't touch my garden for about 5 years (didn't even walk into it) and my plants grew to about 12 foot tall! In fact I got some sort of ivy which climbed nearly 30 foot in my apple tree. All that fuss and palaver for summat that happens quite naturally without our interference.

On a more serious note, there are lots of tiny, tiny plants , I'm thinking mosses and lichens, which can grow in some really inhospitable places. As modellers we're always looking for realism - so what about a base with real plants?

Is it possible to make one say about 300 mm (1 foot in old money) square that only needs to be left in the light and needs watering only every few months? That way, you could have a base to use for a variety of models which looks far more realistic than flock and scatter and lasts for many years. I know Ron uses a lot of green stuff he finds in his garden, and it looks really good, but a lot of this will die (even if treated) and then the dio is spoiled.

It's no good me attempting this, I don't have the knowledge or patience, but maybe one of you gardening types ........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
J.R - Great idea, good fun and potentially impressive results.

Dave - Nice idea and quite correct about the stuff dying, but I just pick it off the model and glue down some fresh greenery. Or if it's not too bad I just give the thing a coat of Dk. Green acrylics.
I regularly shin up the ladder and pick moss and lichen off one of our flat roofs and between the slates. They happily grow up there by the bucket full. Luckily our neighbours are way down the lane, so they can't moan about the roof!

Here's my supply doing very nicely thank you....:thumb2:

P1200442.JPG

P1200447.JPG

Riverside reeds?
P1200448.JPG

1/35 - 1/72 Conifers/Larch coming along nicely......
P1200449.JPG

This is from last year, all dried off. At the moment this years growth are loaded with little white flowers and found along hedge rows. Sorry, I don't know the name. (Not Cowslip)
P1200451.JPG
So don't forget to keep a lookout on your travels.

Growing your own diorama stuff from seed or foraging - All good fun isn't it?

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Jim.
That lawn of yours looks superb too, mine looks 99% dead and all shrivelled up.......

The wife has just looked over my shoulder, read the above line and made a rather hurtful and extremely personal comment!