Sealing the edges of Masking

T

tecdes

A great annoyance is as you unpick masking to find most areas are Ok. But now & then despite a great deal of burnishing some paint gets through. One problem with acrylics is getting the tape to wet on the first coat.

So on the last model where I had two different colours meeting I taped as normal. Then, using a brush, I brushed on a thin coat of Matt Varnish (all Vallejo of course paint & varnish) along the tape edge to seal. I dragged the brush as much as possible away from the tape edge (ie not into the tape edge).

Worked like a charm not one bleed through of paint. Any bleed through of matt varnish would be easily solved with an over all coat of matt varnish.

Incidentally any touching up which generally leaves a slight mark I found is well camouflaged with an overall coat of Vallejo matt varnish.

Not tried it on a canopy yet but will do shortly. Any problems I will let you know.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Interesting.

I am soon to use paint masks for the first time for roundels and flashes on my Marlett. This is a particularly good tip for that.