Sept - Dec 2015 GB: A Classic Kit from the 70's. General Chat.

P

Polux

Hi all!

That's a really interesting GB.

I hope to see some lovely builds there ;)

NOTE: See the difference please!!

A CLASSIC FROM THE 70's CLASSIC KIT NOT SUBJECT!!

THIS IS A KIT PRODUCED IN THE 70's!!

Questions....or you are not sure if your kit is valid, please post it on this thread.

Regards

P

Polux

\ said:
Polux
I take it this is OOB only?
The golden rule is an old one (70s)!

OOB, scratch build, military, fantasy or civil....

Is your choice!

D

dubster72

Hmm I feel a Matchbox kit from my youth coming on! Maybe a 1/76 AFV...

P

Polux

\ said:
I've got one of these in the stash.It was produced between 1977 and 1982 so might just qualify?.The same kit is now boxed by Revell.
View attachment 130233
If the first serie was on the 70s is fine to me Dave.

I suppose the essence of this GB is build and old kit. Just forget somedays the EP and other stuff!

You...., the glue and an old kit ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
P

Polux

The first one looks really old Ian.

I must admit, I have a problem on this GB....by age and my knowledge about kits, is difficult to me recognize the 70s ones :smiling3:

If someone can help me, I will be very glad!!

Anyway, the kit seems old enough to be fine for this GB :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so...seeking some clarification

by old do you mean the kit has to be made in the 70s?............................or can a more modern repop of a 70s kit be allowable?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
If someone can help me, I will be very glad!!
Yep, you can see the age of the original moulds and various subsequent releases on Scalemates.

For example Ian's Sea King dates from 1975 in that boxing, the original mould goes back to 1969: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/157818-airfix-03010-6-sh-3d-sea-king

The Meteor is from 1970: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/122486-airfix-268-meteor-iii

So I suppose what we're looking for is boxings from the 1970s regardless of the release date? Many are still in production with new decals and a few extra bits and pieces.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Yep, you can see the age of the original moulds and various subsequent releases on Scalemates.
For example Ian's Sea King dates from 1975 in that boxing, the original mould goes back to 1969: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/157818-airfix-03010-6-sh-3d-sea-king

The Meteor is from 1970: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/122486-airfix-268-meteor-iii

So I suppose what we're looking for is boxings from the 1970s regardless of the release date? Many are still in production with new decals and a few extra bits and pieces.
Thanks Joe just the info I needed. I never thought of looking on scale mates

P

Polux

\ said:
so...seeking some clarification
by old do you mean the kit has to be made in the 70s?............................or can a more modern repop of a 70s kit be allowable?
I suppose when we vote, all have in mind an old kit made on 70s....

Try to find an old one, if not, I accept a repop.

OK, last time I tried to build a kit I got swamped by a load of work and the whole lot ended up on hold, but I think I have some time for this. With nothing particular in mind I hit ebay and using the very useful ScaleMates link above, I've got a 1974 Matchbox Bristol Beaufighter X 1/72 in the post.

I'll keep you posted :smiling3:

Jambo

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
OK, last time I tried to build a kit I got swamped by a load of work and the whole lot ended up on hold, but I think I have some time for this. With nothing particular in mind I hit ebay and using the very useful ScaleMates link above, I've got a 1974 Matchbox Bristol Beaufighter X 1/72 in the post.
I'll keep you posted :smiling3:

Jambo
Looking forward to seeing this one

\ said:
Looking forward to seeing this one
Well, I'll certainly make a start, hopefully I'll get on with it and get it finished. I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope for the transfers so I'm having a little hunt about as to what's available as I may just buy some fresh and save myself one of the obvious headaches. There seem to be a few kits available, I may just order some up and see what's in the box. I'm not too worried about mimicking an exact aircraft, more just getting something that looks roughly right when it's finished. I've built & painted about 1 model in the last 15 years, so this is not going to be a show piece :smiling3:

Jambo

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Most, but not all, kits have the date some place on the sprues.

The spirit of the build was a kit tooled in the 70's so if its a re-pop of the original tool that should be fine but Polux has the final say, being the GB mod.

Ian M

N

Netboy

\ said:
The golden rule is an old one (70s)!
OOB, scratch build, military, fantasy or civil....

Is your choice!
So, to humour a newbie you would prefer no upgrade kits, photo etch etc?