Sherman but, no farmer.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW!! Thanks lads, love the way this one has your captured imagination. Thanks again, very much appreciated

Have fun, John

First Name
Andy
Hi John,

Me again with another one of your old posts, I've spent the last few hours looking at them in total amazement...

When I saw the first photo I thought the squaddies where walking next to a railway line, I know how the chap with the Bren feels, except I was always lumbered with the Gimpy...

Your dioramas are so realistic, may I ask, what kind of paint do you use on them please (water colours or other)...

Andy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi John

What more can I say outstanding!!!!.

Vaughan

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks again lads, Andy at the time mate i was still using enamel paint. This one was all enamel and painted with a brush too with it being in 1/48 scale, the air brush comes out if i'm building bigger lol.

Have fun, John

B

Boldman

This is excellent really beautiful AND in 1:48!!! Thanks for bringing up the old posts Andy :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Yep Andy, 1/48 scale. Was running out of space so went down a scale, now though, i've gone back up to 1/35 scale and bigger dio's and in the same room. The stash is getting bigger, i have three 1/16 scale RC Tanks and things are getting under my feet. But, i still know where everything is lol. It's all good fun.

Have fun, John

C

Cooperman69

That's a great build there John.

What Tamiya kit was it? I'm on the search for a nice Sherman kit and want to make it in 13th/18th Hussars trim. I was originally looking for a Sherman showing the DD tank design like when they landed on the beach on June 6th but it seems a kit detailing this design is rarer than hens teeth.

So it looks like I'd have to settle on showing a Sherman a few days/weeks into the Normandy campaign following the regiments refit with replacement tanks.

The reason I'm looking for one is my Dad was a driver of one of the 29 DD tanks to land at Sword beach in the first wave of landings on D-day, and I'd like to make a model in their regiment markings.

Atb, Colin.

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Thanks again lads, Andy at the time mate i was still using enamel paint. This one was all enamel and painted with a brush too with it being in 1/48 scale, the air brush comes out if i'm building bigger lol. Have fun, John
Hi John,

So sorry, I mean't the paint of the surface of the diorama, I'd really like to have a go at making one but have no idea what paint I should use for colouring (grass, mud etc)...

Many thanks...

Andy...

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi Colin, if i can remember it was the Tamiya 1/48 US M4 Sherman early Prod - 32505. The best one to go for in 1/48 scale would be the M4A1 Sherman Tank # 32523 and convert it, there is a few in 1/35 scale but it's all money. I know what you mean about building ya Dads tank, i was lucky my Dad drove a Cent so there is a few out there. But it was when he said he would like the tank transporter to go with it, have you seen the price for the Mighty Antar? Only one i've seen is from Accurate Armour and it's £166 then you need the Dyson 50 ton trailer at £108, i think it's staying where it is lol. If i find a DD Sherman Colin i'll let you know mate, would love one too.

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Andy mate, i used matt enamel for the field and road. Then dry brushed it in a lighter colour, the grass is from gamesworkshop. Use a 50/50 mix PVA/water brush where you want your grass to go and sprinkle the grass on then knock the rest off. I didn't do anything fancy but, for the road if you get some polyfilla sprinkle that on then just brush it off you'll get a nice dusty road.

Have fun, John

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
Hi Colin, if i can remember it was the Tamiya 1/48 US M4 Sherman early Prod - 32505. The best one to go for in 1/48 scale would be the M4A1 Sherman Tank # 32523 and convert it, there is a few in 1/35 scale but it's all money. I know what you mean about building ya Dads tank, i was lucky my Dad drove a Cent so there is a few out there. But it was when he said he would like the tank transporter to go with it, have you seen the price for the Mighty Antar? Only one i've seen is from Accurate Armour and it's £166 then you need the Dyson 50 ton trailer at £108, i think it's staying where it is lol. If i find a DD Sherman Colin i'll let you know mate, would love one too.Have fun, John
Thanks John,

Appreciate that.

Atb, Colin.

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Andy mate, i used matt enamel for the field and road. Then dry brushed it in a lighter colour, the grass is from gamesworkshop. Use a 50/50 mix PVA/water brush where you want your grass to go and sprinkle the grass on then knock the rest off. I didn't do anything fancy but, for the road if you get some polyfilla sprinkle that on then just brush it off you'll get a nice dusty road.Have fun, John
Hi John,

Many many thanks for the info and tips, all info will be a great help, I'd never heard of dry brushing before I came in here, someone mentioned in another post to check out 'Promodeller' on You Tube (I've never really used it before, always thought it was just full of people doing daft thing's, how wrong I was) and he shows how to do dry brushing...

Once again, many thanks...

Andy...(looking forward to seeing your future builds :goodpost:smiling3:

N

noble

top notch diorama you completed there John the weathering on the sherman looks good nd i do love that ploughed field well done mate one to be prou of.

scott

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
real nice John again the detail is spot on from the tank down to the ground as has been said before like the field top work and I like how its home made not brought at great expense real modeller

and your tip that's what I do every time cover up in the weathering stage usually with the track cause I hate them dam tracks

but back to yours are they tamiya figures im sure ive built them?????? once again top work john

john

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Big thanks fellas.

your tip that's what I do every time cover up in the weathering stage usually with the track cause I hate them dam tracks
Thats why i love building armour John, one mistake is a bit more mud.

tamiya figures im sure ive built them?
To be honest mate, i think in 1/48 scale it's the only British figures that Tamiya do. I just wish they did more.

Have fun, John