Show me the light, U.S.S Voyager

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, total noob here.

Now Revell have released the U.S.S Voyager kit i had to get another one, but this time i'm going to light it up. The deck lights are not a problem as they just stay on, and the LED's have a resistor inline. But i'm no good with electronics so i need advice on the nav lights and strobe lights. Is there a circuit board you can buy to do the job or, have i got to make one up?

Thanks for your help, John.

P

Plasmahal

Hi,

I just bought my second voyager kit.

There are lots of resources out on the internet for lighting models.

Look over at starshipmodeler.com.

also look at voodoo fx and don's light and magic (DLM).

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Plasmahal, some very interesting models on the voodoo fx site. I could spend some serious cash on there but, i'll try not too lol. I'm going to get a few things on order but i'm not going to rush into the build, i have a few models on the go at the moment.

Plasmahal, is it the Revell "Voyager" you have just bought? If memory serves right, the first U.S.S Voyager kit didn't have the correct detail, this new Revell has it all and a shuttle bay. So it must be the special edition molds.

Anyway, i'll shut up now and get back to modelling, John

P

Plasmahal

I got the re-popped revell kit.

I also have the original kit with the display flap type box.

I have not opened this new release as it is a xmas present from my kids so the wife has hidden it away.

I have not read any reviews so it sounds promising if you say it's based on the limited edition kit.

This means I can use the old kit for a battle damaged or borgifed voyager and the new one for a fresh out of space dock voyager.

If you can get hold of 6" CCFL tubes, they are great for warp engines. single led's don't give a even glow but CCFL's are just right.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I think you're going to be happy on christmas morning, it's a nice looking kit, so i'll not post any pics up to spoil it for you.

As for the warp engines, i've had these for about two years now. They still work great and can be cut down if needed, they give a nice blue glow not too bright. But i will get some CCFL tubes in, just in case Revell release some more Trek models (i hope so).

P

Plasmahal

Nice one,

Not seen those before.

They might be a better option than led's or ccfl's.

Where did you get them from?

Do they do then in green?

P

Plasmahal

Nice one,

Not seen those before.

They might be a better option than led's or ccfl's.

Where did you get them from?

Do they do then in green?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Sorry but i can't remember where i got them from but, most motor factors should have these in the bargain bin's, i think i paid about £3.

Will test them tomorrow in one of the nacelles to see how they look and let you know.

John.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just a update, tested the warp engines today and i'm not impressed, not bright enough so it looks like CCFL tubes. It's a pity because there would of been plenty of space in the nacelles.

John