Si B's MENG 1/35 Renault FT-17 light tank (cast turret)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Thanks chaps,
I had an email about the dark star paints....but didn’t really pay it any attention, I’ll have to go take a look :nerd:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
update...
The rest of the hull flew together,very straightforward. Engine and front hatches held in place for paintwork.
On went my base mixture...
yellow.jpeg

Then out with the silly putty and masked off the yellow. Sprayed green, more putty and then hull red. Black lines added with a hairy stick...

IMG_0958.jpeg

IMG_0960.jpeg

Meng have done a great job with track...no glue just click together. Painted up and fitted...

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

Everything has had a coat of varnish and the track assemblies are only dry fit to make weathering easier.
Once the outside is weathered, I can open up the hatches and weather them too.

All comments welcome
cheers
Si

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
Just love that camo paint job. Looks so, so colourful before the weathering. Very neat work - credit to you :smiling5:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work Si. Really has come out well. I have just done the cammo on my Holt. What are your feelings about chipping the black lines with the cammo colour to show wear and tear?. Not done it before so unsure if it works or how to go about it

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Jim, Steve & Mick,
Thanks for looking in, glad you like the progress. Here’s a bit more.

Weathered with some enamel washes...which have helped to darken and give a dusty look. Added mud to the running gear using pigments ...

A4E0064C-2E6F-401E-8F48-D5716292308C.jpeg

BCBC34BB-4B73-4064-BEA9-C36C419D0D39.jpeg
826F9024-CC85-49C1-9DF3-2B2B347363C9.jpeg

65C63320-5C76-4325-BB67-4ABEF943F9A1.jpeg

Coming together now, pleased with the look so far...a few more touches and tweaks to add once this lot has had plenty of time to dry.
Thanks for looking, all comments welcome
Cheers
Si

Last edited:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Top work Si. The tracks have come out well. Looking forward to seeing the final reveal

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Top work Si. The tracks have come out well. Looking forward to seeing the final reveal
Thanks very much Steve. Sorry I missed your question about chipping, sounds feasible to me....although I’ve not done any chipping on this.

I’m very nearly done, just a few painting tweaks, a little localised weathering and looking for some chain for the D shackles.
Carefully brushed some turret numbers last night...that was tense !!
F55BDEFD-1341-46E4-BBF2-8C980658E333.jpeg

Cheers

First Name
Wouter
Hi Si, this Renault is coming together nicely. Great paintwork and the weathering really sets it of. I like the handpainted turretnumbers, they look very tidy. Keep up the good work mate!
Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Si, this Renault is coming together nicely. Great paintwork and the weathering really sets it of. I like the handpainted turretnumbers, they look very tidy. Keep up the good work mate!
Cheers

Hiya Wouter,
Thanks for looking in. As soon as I saw the Ft, I knew I had to get one. It’s turning out better than I imagined....good to see you and appreciate your input buddy:thumb2:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
That's a great looking model Si.Excellent paint job.
A little crew man would set it off lovely.
Jon.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
Great stuff. Weathering is subtle and realistic. It also shows that your initial camo painting was spot on. Steady hand for the numbers :thumb2:
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That's a great looking model Si.Excellent paint job.
A little crew man would set it off lovely.
Jon.

Hi Jon,
Thank you very much:smiling4:
I had considered the idea of adding a crewman or observer....jury is still out as I got three projects on the go already :thinking:.

Hi Si
Great stuff. Weathering is subtle and realistic. It also shows that your initial camo painting was spot on. Steady hand for the numbers :thumb2:
Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanks very much :smiling4:. The cammo was vivid to say the least so I’m happy it toned down during weathering stage. I amazed myself with the number painting:smiling5:

Thanks again chaps:thumb2:

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Nice Si

Liking the camo pattern now its knocked back with the weathering looks spot on!

keep up the good work :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Si, camo work and the weathering looks very nice indeed. The numbering is also well apited on. The idea of a crew member would be a nice add to the composition.

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice Si

Liking the camo pattern now its knocked back with the weathering looks spot on!

keep up the good work :smiling3:

Thanks Ben, much appreciated :thumb2:

Hi Si, camo work and the weathering looks very nice indeed. The numbering is also well apited on. The idea of a crew member would be a nice add to the composition.

Cheers,
Richard

Thanks Richard, I’ll certainly consider the figure option...would definitely help show the diminutive size of the FT!
Cheers
Si

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Sorry for missing your fine work of late Si...
Great paintjob on this one with the complex camo scheme, followed by a very nice weathering job.:thumb2:
Like the soil on the tracks and suspension a lot:smiling:, good with the finishing.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Knocked up a quick base! What's that all about?? It would take me longer than the model to make a base like that:smiling5: Top work as always Si. Really enjoyed this build:thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Fernando, Steve....
Thanks for looking:thumb2: I avoided adding figures as my ability doesn’t stretch that far. I have one more ‘object’ to add then I’ll do some last tweaks and a Matt coat to the whole lot.
Thanks again guys, appreciate your kind comments :smiling4: