SIG chat

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then! As we are getting nearer the start and the interest is growing, I feel its about time we had a CHAT section in the SIG forum.

Lets try to keep the build threads clear of to much chit chat and have them as the build forum. Naturally there will be some things that will be better in the relevant builds and other stuff that would be better placed in here, the chat section.

SO Chatter away.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well by my watch there are 10 days +- until the start of the First SIG. So loads of time to get things sorted. AND start your thread if you will be joining in.

I am sure there are some of you that are playing your cards close to your chest. I would encourage you to come out of the woodwork and claim your spot. That way you won't be disappointed to read that someone else has opted to build the same as you!

Steve1; Any ideas yet, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that could help with suggestions.

Tony (msm2); Any developments on the Russian front? I bet there are a couple of really great subjects bashing around in your head.

Steve (stona) Anyone that can build the Revell 1/32 Spitfire in a week should be able to knock something up in six months! I know you travel a lot with work but would love to have you join in.

Any one else thinking about it? come on show yourself!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi ian , I dont know if i'll be joining in on this one, ive been looking in the stash to see if there was anything that i could use but no luck so far, maybe after cosford in april! That still leaves me quite a while to knock up something , never say never eh? !! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No worries Tony, I'm sure that the minute you find some thing you will jump in.

Ian M

M

msm2

A few ideas at the mo but all is on hold due to big diy jobs. Hope to get back to modelling in a few weeks. By that time my shed will be built,then I can start again.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just been rooting through the stash and i think i might have got something i can use! Ive got a 1/48 SMER Fiat cr32 and a Revell 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon , which with a bit of tweaking on the fiat decals i can model both in the markings of the 4th Stormo , italian air force. What a bonus, as ive been wanting to get the stash down a bit but still wanted to participate in the GB. Hopefully ill be able to finish it this time- the last one i started (Liy Litvyak and her yak 1 ,1/48 . for last years cross of iron GB. ) was put to one side when my dad became ill and sadly passed away,and i cant get round to starting it again, someday i will im sure ,as its a lovely kit and subject. Anyway im getting quite excited at the thought of starting the fiat,maybe not so excited when i look at the HUNDREDS of tiny stencils for the typhoon!!! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good on ya Tony. Se you soon in the build section then ;)

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't know about you lot, but I've got real itchy fingers to get started. Still, not long now. I just hope I can clear a bit of space on the desk over the next few days!

Ian M

K

Kressy13

I would have to Agree with you Ian. The hornet is just sitting their mocking me. Lol. Still waiting in the P-40 to come from japan but I got plenty to do in the mean time. I'm trying to herb the F-86 out of the way so I got more room. Lol. Nearly their. Can't wait to get started on this 1.

Cheers

Kresten

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well its the first of March tomorrow (here anyway), Kresten, Ron and yours truly. on the list.

Lets hope there is a rush of activity.

Ian M

S

steve1

Hello Ian,Been doing some research for this group build.Came up with squadron 84 (scorpions)Formed at Beaulieu in 1917.In 1940 Flew during ww2 in Africa,The Middle and Far East and currently based at RAF Akrotiri.The aircraft in 1917 was the SE-5 fighter Biplane.The current aircraft is the Bell Griffin HAR2 helicopter.I found a kit for the SE-5 no problem but had no luck for the HAR2 helicopter.Could there be a possible substitute?I can get decals for this subject.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks a bunch!

Steve1

T

treyzx10r

I still have no idea what direction to go in,my stash at the moment is'nt varied enough so still looking.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hello Ian,Been doing some research for this group build.Came up with squadron 84 (scorpions)Formed at Beaulieu in 1917.In 1940 Flew during ww2 in Africa,The Middle and Far East and currently based at RAF Akrotiri.The aircraft in 1917 was the SE-5 fighter Biplane.The current aircraft is the Bell Griffin HAR2 helicopter.I found a kit for the SE-5 no problem but had no luck for the HAR2 helicopter.Could there be a possible substitute?I can get decals for this subject.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks a bunch!Steve1
I know that you can get a Bell AB212 from Italeri. As to that can be converted to a griffin, I have no idea. Just a question but which is the aircraft that turns your propeller the most, the The Bi-plane or the egg beater? I must admit I would of approached it the other way. Found the kit then found the connection to the other one. A good way to do it is to find the newer aircraft you fancy in kit form. Look that up on Google or wiki (if you dare) then find out about the squadrons it flew in and what you can find decal wise.

If its the squadron that interests you the most, go for the SE-5 and then find out what is avaliable in the later aircraft.

It does not need to be the first and the last. As long as there is 30 odd years between them it will be fine. Been looking quickly at 84 sq. They are not the easiest to find models for in the later years. Airfix did a couple of Wessex in 1/72, but I think you would be lucky to get hold of one of those.

Sorry I cant be more help-

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How are we all doing?

Are we all done with the current SIG's and would you like some more?

I have been looking through the builds and as far as I can see all those that have started have crossed the finish line. Well done to you all.

If some of you have not done yet, now would be a good time to shout!

Do you think that 6 months is toooooo looooonnnnngggg a time. It seams to me that the start is great, then it all goes quite for a long time and then in the last three or four weeks it goes ballistic again. could we trim them to four months? Should we play by ear and have a different time for different builds?

Remember its the SIG builds we are talking of here.

Ian M

B

Boldman

Six months worked well for me this time as I had one whole month interruption in the middle, however if the SIG isn't one that interests me, then waiting 6 months for another might be a chore :D Overall I've got no real wish to change things much

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No worries there Andrew. When the SIG's start, I tend to start them en mass, so there are a couple or three running at any one time. The idea being that if you dont fancy the one you can try another.

I just dont want to launch to many at once and have people going into creative melt down !!!

Ian M

N

noble

Ian any idea when you would be looking to start a sci-fi sig build?

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hej Scott-

Very likly the first of the month. Just a question of which one. :laughing:

What do the rest of you say.

Are we nerdy enough to do a Sci-fi/fact SIG. Scott is chomping at the bit to get started, what about the others, have you a suitable project close at hand?

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Would certainly be interesting Ian. Just finding a kit would be interesting.

Cheers

Kresten

C

CDW

I suppose i could put a few of my saved 1/35 Chinook tokens towards a 1/32 colonial viper kit or similar ... wouldn't take much persuasion actually me-thinks :smiling3: