SimonT - 4x4 1/24 Esci Range Rover

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on this one Simon, some very nice work going on. Really liking the tap on the outside.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Shed looks better and better with all the add-ons Simon, love the water tap too.:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ian / Fernando - thanks both. The tap is based on one I saw somewhere - brass tap piped up with blue plastic pipe rather than copper. It will give a nice splash of colour

Jim - thanks, I'm quite chuffed with how it is going so far but it would have been better if I had come up with a method of making the roof removable for painting! The 10ml Tamiya pots are far too small - the old 23ml ones were a much better size from the modellers perspective. I suppose from Tamiyas side it means they sell a lot more small ones :thinking:

rov-067_2018-10-9.jpg
sneaked half an hour when I got home from work to make a start on the roof - splotchy spray of brown followed by the brown mixed with red followed by some rusty pigment mixed with X20a thinner

It will get a few more rust shades of pigment then a coat of AK worn effects. The galvanised steel top coat will be light grey/white splotchy. Once that is done the fun part can be carried out - scratching it off again

I will have to be careful though as the corrugated roof is only made from thin cardboard so won't take too much punishment

rov-064_2018-10-9.jpg
test fitted the wheels and tyres - by swapping them around between axles I found a permutation that allows all four to sit on the ground :thumb2:

rov-066_2018-10-9.jpg
rov-065_2018-10-9.jpg
I also made a two way consumer unit with incoming cable and outgoing conduit to a two gang switched metalclad socket outlet - may have to redo them as they look a bit shabby. 2/10 must try harder

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great stuff. It's good to see your mojo flag flying. You seem really stoked with this effort. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great stuff. It's good to see your mojo flag flying. You seem really stoked with this effort. PaulE

Oooh Paul, careful now...he'll get so stoked that he might just start on another project or build. I'm happy that this is seeing the light. :smiling6::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Roof is looking very good. Love your scratched electrical stuff.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Paul - yes, I have been enjoying this one

Scottie - ta. Consumer unit and socket could be better - they seem to be a bit on the wonky side looking at them now

Richard - there are always plenty of other builds waiting to start.......

Jim - thanks. Not convinced by the leccy stuff so may redo

Managed not to fall asleep so did some more on the roof

Sprayed a good coat of AK Worn Effects then when that had dried a blotchy coat of Tamiya medium grey with an overspray of the lighter JA Grey

Wetting the surface to activate the peeling process caused the roof panels to start lifting, bending and generally going a bit wonky

rov-069_2018-10-11.jpg
as I suspected from previous use the AK fluid has removed all tonal variation from the base coat

I had various shades of red brown and orange brown at the start but now it all looks pretty much a uniform dark brown

Nevermind, it will get some more pigments which will hopefully lift the rust shades and make it less uniform

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work Simon pity about the tonal variation loss, ( I'm sure you'll get it back ), but I think the warping and lifting of the sheets as made them look better ( older looking ).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
The distortion of the roof sheets actually looks quite realistic. I am sure some rust coloured pigments will make a big difference.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon.
Stand away from that roof ! Its perfection.
Nice touch with the 15mm cold pipe and tap.
Your defiantly enjoying this.
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ian/Jim - I think you are right. The warped panels do look better :smiling:

Mick - thanks

John - sorry sir but I just couldn’t leave it alone it looked too one dimensional. Hope you approve of the next stages

058A744D-FDB0-49F5-B460-7E610035A27C.jpeg
Last night (well about 2am this morning!) I propped the building up so the roof was level then gave it a wash of thinned Tamiya XF-1 so that it sat in the troughs of the sheets

A1C7E139-9833-4FDE-9467-BC9B8397D253.jpeg
This morning I have wet brushed (like dry brushing but with more paint) it with light grey back and forth across the peaks of the sheets and fixings then a dry brush with white in a few random places just to give a little variation in tone and bring out the wavyness of the corrugated sheets

I added a few patches of moss in joints - a mix of green pastel chalk, 1mm flock and VJ pigment fixer

Some of the rusty spots then got treated with Dieter Etzel Old rust FX (wonder where he ended up) to liven them up a bit

All the horizontal panel joints then got artificial shadows using black pastel chalk

I think it has turned out ok and it was good fun

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good Simon. I was just thinking of Dieter the other day while working on my engineer battalion. His scratch WWII German pontoon bridge was my favorite part of his amazing dio, which IMHO, was a real masterwork. PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think he spelled it Diether, if so, he's alive & kicking in South Africa. His picture on News 24 looks like him. He posted some riot photos there recently. PaulE