SimonT - Meng 1:35 Whippet

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have a few things which would be suitable for this build - 2 x St Chamond, CA Schneider, FT17, MkIV, an old Truro A7V and Fiat 3000, a couple of 1/72 MB MkI's and a few unfinished scratch builds - 1/35 Fiat Tipo 2000, 1/48 Whippet and 1/72 15" howitzer

What I don't seem to have is a lot of time so I went for the Meng Whippet that my sister got me last Christmas - not too many parts and it is really just an assembly job rather than a full on modelling so hopefully won't take long to complete.

It will be a bit odd not having to chop it into pieces before starting :smiling:

It's a long time since I made anything out of the box so here we go.......

wip-001_2018-7-29.jpg
wip-002_2018-7-29.jpg
very nicely moulded of course being a new kit

wip-005_2018-7-29.jpg
main hull already completed without much hassle - just some injector pin stubs on the rear faces that need removing to allow panels to fit together properly

wip-004_2018-7-29.jpg
start made on the track units

wip-006_2018-7-29.jpg
the individual track links are nicely moulded and click together although I will probably glue them once I have a full set made up

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Ian - first Meng kit I have actually built and it has gone together well so far
Does feel a bit odd not having to chop it up and correct everything though

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
A straight forward build - a real change for you. You'll whip it into shape no problem :rolling:
Jim

B

Brad9826

Ooh two whippets now, I'll have a troop soon.. Nice one Simon.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon.
Now how long will we have to wait until you thindown some part, replace a sprocket, or replace a fender with pewter, let alone make several hundred rivits ? :smiling3:
2 days at the most .
This will be interesting .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steven - may just get a simple base to stand on

Peter - no there isn't any etch with this one

Andy - by all accounts because they made it in conjunction with the Tank Museum rivets are all present and correct

Jim - yes, very odd. Well made kit. (I'll second Andy's comment)

Brad - :thumb2: I just hope I can make it to completion

John - don't think there will be any need for extra rivets on this one. The exhausts may get some attention and the grouser racks are moulded integrally with the side panels so they will probably get replaced

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Did I get this right Mr T? - You are doing an OOB? Are you feeling all right? Surely there must be at least one rivet you can add?:smiling3:

I am a big fan off the Whippet so looking forward to seeing it come together. Could I tempt you into doing the Russian colour scheme with a nice big red star on the side?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You mean I could have entered with a Russian version Steve........ dam
Keep going Simon. Those tracks look very much like Colt except more rivits .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - it must be the heat! Haven't decided on scheme yet but I am rather partial to those large white/red/white patches on the Brits.....

John - not too late to join in

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hey Mr T,
Could you at least cut it in half or something just to humour us..it’s just not natural to see you build OOB :upside:
Si

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Simon just wondering if there are any specific photos of the Whippet you need or like as I'm at the Tank Museum next Wednesday.
Pete.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice choice and a great start Simon.:thumb2:
Having built one two years ago, with some care it will go together without any trouble.:smiling4:

Maybe you can add some insulation on the mufflers, if memory serves me right the model is made after the one in Bovington and they (rightfully) removed the asbestos insulation...

Good luck and have fun with the kit.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Si - :thinking: now there's a thought...... How about a two for one offer - if I get time I will try and finish my scratchbuilt one as well

Pete - very kind of you to offer. Was going to PM you but you have that function turned off. If you get a chance to take any of the cabin interior and the lower areas / undersides at the front / insides of the track units that would be good thanks. Of course if they happen to have the engine covers open.......

Fernando - it does seem to be going together quite well. I believe the one at Bovington is missing its outer covers - the asbestos layer should have a metal cover like the one in Brussels. This kit is based on the Bovington vehicle so this is on my list of things to check :thumb2:

Managed to clean up a few more track links

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The kit looks great. Lots of detail to play with and highlight.