sizes

M

mark stonham

Hi guy's as you know im new to model building and im doing a bike and just looking at dispay cabinet for them but im hoping to do 1/24 scale cars as well. dose any one have any sizes of these cars so that i can get the right size cabinet. (sorry for spelling)

B

Bunkerbarge

I guess it depends on the specific car, a 1/24th Mini is going to need a smaller case than a 1/24th Hummer! If you want to be consistent then you will have to go for a slightly larger than average size to ensure you will get them all in and some manufacturers make cabinets for specific ranges of models, which may be a help.

What model are you thinking of in particular?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I know a real F1 car fits on a 16'x8' platform (don't ask) so that means a 1/24 model of one would be about 20cm long.

I'm sure someone who actually builds them will be along with more info soon.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Mark. Just a simple bit of maths. In 1/24 scale, if you take the real dimension in feet and divide by 2, that will give you the model size in inches.

For example. A car that is 14 feet long becomes 14/2 = 7 inches long on the kit.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Mark. Just a simple bit of maths. In 1/24 scale, if you take the real dimension in feet and divide by 2, that will give you the model size in inches.Gern
Slightly off topic the same formula for 1/48 scale (divide by 4) explains why it is sometimes referred to as "quarter scale".

Steve