SK Miniatures 1/9 US Vietnam Marine Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
A

Armorguy

Your work progresses much faster than mine me being an oil paintslapper.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Superb work on the 3 contrasting greens.

The rear of the flak jacket looks so realistic, I have to say, the think the Negro soldier really does lift the contrast with the greens, even more than a Caucasian would.

The bar has just gone up another notch Peter

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Can't stand waiting for paint to dry Guy.

Thanks Steve. I did try to let the skin tones suggest the colour of the greens. I would usually use a more washed out OD, but felt I could get away with something warmer here.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You have certainly got the face spot on. Looks right for Afro-American. Combination of superb sculpting and painting.
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Oh, that is great paintwork Peter. Not that I expected any less from you ^^

Cheers

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Thanks. The face is an amazing bit of sculpture, which sure helps.
Wouter - Thank you my friend. Working on the helmet today - camo!

D

Deleted member 6559

That's the next stage done:

100_2189.JPG100_2190.JPG100_2191.JPG

I started today with the helmet. I found the easiest way to do it was to paint on the pattern in the various basic colours, then shade and highlight each patch individually. It took a while, but I found the process very enjoyable. I decided on a packet of Malboro, as that way the lettering is hidden under the helmet band (lazy, I know) - the cigarette packet is the wrong shape, but I think it looks reasonable.

There are no straps included with the kit, so the next stage was to make some. As the scale is larger than usual, I used a thin card to get the right thickness. The chin straps utilise some Miniart Napoleonic buckles with bits of card and metal foil - the result is not totally accurate, but has a semblance of the real thing. I did the same with the M79 strap, adding wire to make the attachment ring - the card wrinkled convincingly when bent, which was a bonus.

I placed him on the final base at this stage, as the last step is to paint and attach the various pouches, which will make later handling difficult.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Super doopah Peter.Looks great painted up mate.Afraid i couldnt find 8th army chaps shorts mate.Might have been missing when i.bought it from a show.Hope the smaller figures prove more fruitful.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks people - he's nearly there.

Richard - No worries. I'll figure something out.

J

Jim Barry

This one is amazing, Peter. It makes you think hard about the African-American in Vietnam. It was not great here (civil rights etc) and it was worse there! What was he fighting for (exactly)

D

Deleted member 6559

Quite Jim

Initial conscriptions tended to target the less affluent areas of society, so there was a high proportion of African Americans in Vietnam.

Interestingly, the fluid sculpt seems to have made me adopt a slightly more painterly technique than normal - more obvious brushstrokes etc - something that I was aiming for.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
You are superb, that face is absolutely spot on, definitely one of your best.
Sorry I'm late !
John

F

Fenlander

Just got home and catching up on what I missed while in Spain. This is really good Peter. I wouldn’t know where to start on an Afro skin tone but this is one of the best I have seen, superb:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Many thanks. Don't know about superb though.....

Graham - Hope you had a good holiday. Glad you like him.

I'm calling him finished:

100_2192.JPG100_2193.JPG100_2194.JPG100_2195.JPG100_2196 (2).JPG

Just the gear attached to the belt to do today. The finish on the pouches was a bit rough, but I suppose they're not the focal point of the piece. The pistol holster was lacking a number of crucial details, so I added them with metal foil and bits of sprue.

Many thanks again to Richard for his kind gift. A really enjoyable project with a good few things to learn along the way.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fighting to get home alive, like most others. Draft boards in my area were heartless hacks & judges often gave enlistment as a choice to jail. Excellent job, reminds me of a friend who has the same skin tone but the greenest eyes I've ever seen. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I reckon he is perfect. Your work is always superb but this is simple better than superb.
Jim

Reactions: JR